Vulkan Presentations On Multi-Threading, HPP, Pipeline Cache & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Presentations On Multi-Threading, HPP, Pipeline Cache & More

Phoronix: Vulkan Presentations On Multi-Threading, HPP, Pipeline Cache & More

Last month in Seoul, Korea was a workshop on Vulkan hosted by The Khronos Group. For those not in attendance at the event, The Khronos Group has made all of the material publicly available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about Rust + Vulkan? The concept seems perfect, specially because SPIR-V that acts as OpenCL too (right?).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What about Rust + Vulkan? The concept seems perfect, specially because SPIR-V that acts as OpenCL too (right?).
      Sorry, double post. I mean OFFICIAL Rust support. They should provide stronger support outside C++, and I don't mean Java only.

Can Vulkano be usable for a complex game engine equivalent in complexity to Unreal Engine but Vulkan only?

Comment

The only game engines found are Amethyst, Piston and the still closed-source SharEngine?

Comment

Rust is a third-world language.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Can Vulkano be usable for a complex game engine equivalent in complexity to Unreal Engine but Vulkan only?
            Well why not?

But remember that the actual game engine is more than "just" rendering and a wrapper for the graphics API.
            Anyway, what's your problem? You could use this, Amethyst, which is a WIP engine written in Rust or GLFW, etc...

IMHO one official interface is enough to maintain and I don't see the problem with that.

Comment

What is the point of mentioning rust in every thread again? Stop wasting time, play around with your toy and contribute to Vulkano. Stop whining jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans
                Rust is a third-world language.
                Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                What is the point of mentioning rust in every thread again? Stop wasting time, play around with your toy and contribute to Vulkano. Stop whining jeez.
                Why so defensive? Why so butthurt? You don't even know the first thing about Rust.

Originally posted by timofonic
                What about Rust + Vulkan? The concept seems perfect, specially because SPIR-V that acts as OpenCL too (right?). I mean OFFICIAL Rust support. They should provide stronger support outside C++, and I don't mean Java only.

Vulkano can be used to create a competitive game engine. In fact, it's easier to use than the official library because A) the compiler is able to provide additional guarantees that allow you to disable Vulkan's error checking routines that occur during runtime, and B) the Rust API makes use of state machines and Rust's compiler to guarantee correct usage of the API, and C) much less boilerplate is required. Similar to the OpenGL bindings that also do the same.

Comment

Jeez.

A) Vulkan does no (or very little) error checking at runtime (and the very little it does can not be disabled).

B) What is the Rust API? I though Rust is a language.

Comment

Working...
                  X