Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythbuntu Linux Distribution Discontinued

Phoronix: Mythbuntu Linux Distribution Discontinued

The Mythbuntu Linux OS that paired the MythTV HTPC software with an Ubuntu Linux base is being disbanded...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it's a good thing. They will focus their efforts on developing their software instead of a distribution.

Comment

Using it since a least 3-4 years, I'm still actively using a MythTV backend on Mythbuntu, now upgraded to 14.04. It work great to record and manage my cable box through firewire. Imho, Kodi provide much better UI than their MythTV Frontend, to watch recording and LiveTV. Long life to MythTV

Comment

Yeah. I remember back in the day when I even used to like plain old Ubuntu. I feel sorry for Ubuntu community contributors stomped on by Canonical.

Comment

With TVs and accompanying devices gaining full multimedia playback support, HTPCs are going out of business slowly. Even MS discontinued Media Center some time ago. Even they had a "distribution" centered around it in the past.

Comment

I used to watch TV while using my computer at the same time...

MythTV is in the third workspace in the right.

Update: I'd like to go with Plex+HDHomeRun, but Plex do not do live TV at the moment.
            Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 05 November 2016, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I can barely remember when I used MythTV. I can't remember if I brought it forward to my new house at all or not. If not, that means I stopped about 2008 or so. I THINK I tried to revive it at one point after Zap2It ceased to exist, and paid for 1 year of another TV guide service, Schedules Direct? I also used it after 2006 though, because I managed to get Myth to act as a DLNA/UPNP gateway for my PS3. The main reason I stopped using Myth though was that I discontinued my cable subscription.

I still miss the ability to speed up DVR recordings though, I watched a lot of shows at 1.5x, and some as high as 2x. Of course, now that Youtube and Netflix are HTML5, I can speed those up now.

Comment

I use Kodi, have been using it since 2010, and won't stop. Smart TVs are a plague : they track you, stop working whenever the vendor decides and in most cases the UI is just horrific. With online services the movies I buy aren't bought, but rented : Netflix decides your country is in their "don't like" zone, and you can't watch the movies you bought anymore. (Bluray discs are the same -- read up on key revocation)
                This type of software is necessary.

Comment

Back in the good old analogue TV days I used MythTV, as it was the only GUI tool that could handle my tuner/MPEG2 encoder card...
                  I don't remember when I installed it, but I can say with certainty that I haven't used it any more since spring 2010...

Comment

Active Mythbuntu user here. It runs my DVR, which doubles as a server, which has been the case since early 2013. This is rather sad news.

Comment

Working...
                    X