Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13-Way NVIDIA OpenGL vs. Vulkan Dota 2 Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: 13-Way NVIDIA OpenGL vs. Vulkan Dota 2 Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

With my recent NVIDIA GTX 1050 series Linux tests I included the latest Vulkan performance numbers for NVIDIA's Pascal card line-up, but if you're curious how the performance is going back to Maxwell and Kepler, here is a 13-way comparison of GeForce GPUs when running Dota 2 with OpenGL and Vulkan on Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On 1080p it is clear.

By looking at charts i think that - 2GB cards or Low End or less then GTX 10xx are not good representatives on 4K and of Vulkan too

Comment

For AMD i think the same, only Fury/X/Nano on 4K - others might be not clear sometimes so vague, leading to false conclusions of 4K

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        On 1080p it is clear.

By looking at charts i think that - 2GB cards or Low End or less then GTX 10xx are not good representatives on 4K and of Vulkan too
        probaly they need to work much more in vulkan drivers in 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          Of course they will work but for future cards. Let alone GPU bound, but 4K also use more VRAM and VK version itself uses more VRAM, so it is harder for driver memory managment on low end, etc... also older cards lacks perf advantage features if let say game wanna use async compute.

You see there what is enough for 4K only GTX 1080 Only on that one there is sort of same VK advantage as on 1080p.

Comment

I would be happy only seeing all of those GPUs on the table in the first picture :'-)

But it got even better with all of the benchmarks! Thanks Michael for all of your hard work making these types of articles (the benchmark ones especially)!

Comment

Michael, I'm curious, what tool are you using to log the Vulkan frames? Is it something you developed in-house or is there a public tool available for fps and frametime logging?

I can't seem to find anything via Google or the Vulkan webpage, which is why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

No, drivers don't work differently in different resolutions.
                Clearly the games doesn't scale very well, and given it's Vulkan through an "Direct3D 11"-like wrapper I'm not surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                  No, drivers don't work differently in different resolutions.
                  Clearly the games doesn't scale very well, and given it's Vulkan through an "Direct3D 11"-like wrapper I'm not surprised...
                  I think it's much simpler. The 1070 and 1080 are fast enough for Dota2 to become CPU bound again at 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                    Michael, I'm curious, what tool are you using to log the Vulkan frames? Is it something you developed in-house or is there a public tool available for fps and frametime logging?

I can't seem to find anything via Google or the Vulkan webpage, which is why I ask.
                    Where am I logging Vulkan frames? or I am not sure what you're after. With the Dota 2 testing, it's just using the built-in exposed info: http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...54b026f6b29981
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X