Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9-rc4 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.9-rc4 Kernel Released

Linus Torvalds has done another Saturday release of the latest Linux kernel release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know weather it's problem with my hardware but from 4.9-rc2 and higher I can't really use these because of such a big lags and slowdown. At least like 50% of performance went down from 4.9-rc1 to 4.9-rc2. I really hope it's not a problem with my hardware ...

Comment

Originally posted by PSSGCSim View Post
      I don't know weather it's problem with my hardware but from 4.9-rc2 and higher I can't really use these because of such a big lags and slowdown. At least like 50% of performance went down from 4.9-rc1 to 4.9-rc2. I really hope it's not a problem with my hardware ...
      What hardware is that?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

What hardware is that?
        It is:
        MB - MSI 970 Gaming with latest BIOS
        CPU - AMD FX-8370E Eight-Core Processor × 8
        RAM - 12 GiB
        GPU - AMD R9 270X

Also I'm running on EFI with Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak).

Comment

Oh my dear GCN 1.0/1.1 users that has more drivers than any other for the same hardware, some might thing that is good but it is not

I still recommend old fglrx for those in case xserver version matches as even this 4.9-rc4 works fine with it

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
            I'm still chasing down a problem since rc1. My lightweight .config I've had for ages, still working perfectly on the 4.8 series, cannot produce a 4.9 kernel that shuts down properly.

Unfortunately, I tried an ubuntu mainline kernel (they do have SI support for amdgpu in them by the way, readers!) and that worked OK, so it's definitely something I now need ticked in the .config file.

This latest rc has bug fixes for S3 states - still no luck. Trying to shutdown only shuts the screen down, fans are still spinning and everything still on; radeon or amdgpu independent.
            Must be acpi related - the worst kind of kernel bug
            I've also experienced that problem with 4.9 rc1 to rc3. My specs: Asus Crosshair Formula V, AMD FX 8370, Radeon RX 480, 16GB RAM.

Rc4 works ok, so give it a try.

Comment

Seems people hitting this on radeon:

Those patches are in rc4.

Comment

"...This release also has many DRM / GPU related fixes of interest to Phoronix readers. .."

Unfortunately there is at least one critical regression in DRM (amdgpu powerplay) compared to 4.8.6 which disables my laptop's dGPU.

So sorry, no chance to test potential amdgpu driver improvements with this rc.

Comment

very interesting, I hope they have fixed the annoying problem which affects the ability of lan chip to work after resuming from suspend to ram.

Comment

Working...
                  X