Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 3.2 Desktop Arrives

Phoronix: Cinnamon 3.2 Desktop Arrives

For fans of Linux Mint's Cinnamon Desktop Environment, the latest Cinnamon 3.2 release was tagged today in preparation for Linux Mint 18.1 shipping later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cinnamon: vertical panel support (finally)
    GNOME: stable Wayland support

Comment

Cinnamon is arguably what Gnome 3 should have been, but MATE has better features than Cinnamon or Gnome 3.

And if the Gnome project leaders have their way, the MATE people are going to be maintaining the core libraries as well as the desktop components soon.

Comment

Cinnamon may be what users though Gnome 3 would be like, however I'm Gnome has the extensability to mod the interface into a bottom panel, other app launchers, etc... I personally layout my Gnome like Mac however I sometimes wish it would be more like Budgie.

I've been meditating on the design choice of Windows and come to the realization that the top panel vs the bottom panel have psychological allures whether we consciously recognize them or not.

Looking up often is associated with Creative though, and Looking down with Remembering Memory or Memory Retention.

So I hypothesize that this is one reason why Creative personality types have gravitated to Apple (Top) whereas Corporate, and business types gravitate towards Windows (bottom).

I would further hypothesize that Desktop Icons in the corporate workplace in the hands of a OCD / ADHD person is very productive. For example a OCD person couldn't stand things on their desktop so they might only have tasks they're working on listed and use their Desktop as a sort of "To Do", "Bulletin Board" or "Workspace" for what they're working on at present before filing it away into the file tree.

I'm sure there are other pshycological links between top right or top left window controls, the effects of dark theme on work and light theme or solarized on work in File Manager, Text Editor, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
          Cinnamon is arguably what Gnome 3 should have been, but MATE has better features than Cinnamon or Gnome 3.
          The problem with MATE is that it relies on old, unmaintained Gnome 2.
          Cinnamon might not be as feature rich, but it's improving with every release, relies on up to date, maintained packages, and looks very good while being easy to use. Is not by accident that many other distros offer the Cinnamon flavor even if it is developed and maintained by the Mint Team.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            So I hypothesize that this is one reason why Creative personality types have gravitated to Apple (Top) whereas Corporate, and business types gravitate towards Windows (bottom).
            Not saying that there isn't any truth behind your perspective, but i have a different justification:
            Mac's are more expensive, Premium. And people want that. Those who can afford it, buy them. Sometimes even those who can't.
            If i am poor, i have little chance to be able to buy a guittar, play around, and endulge my creativity. If i am rich, that's at least a possibility. Though it's not so black and white when it comes to computing, there's still much truth about it, since a carrer on design can be both rewarding or punishing, depending on luck and skill. Therefore a wealthier person has less to lose/worries when opting for such a career.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              The problem with MATE is that it relies on old, unmaintained Gnome 2.
              MATE is a fork of Gnome 2, it does not "rely" on Gnome2 and is developed independently (they are adding gtk3 support, for example).

The same as Cinnamon, it is a fork of Gnome3 but it does not rely on Gnome3 anymore, it is developed independently.

Comment

Even if MATE comes from "old" Gnome 2 it makes a good job : classical and usable desktop, and visually appealing.

Gnome 3 was a nice test but after weeks I am still confused about it, MATE is far better and simple IMHO. So Mint wins a lot of users for their good job.

My only issue is not being able to put the menu on the left of the screen. Today on 16/9 screens vertical space is precious...

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  I've been meditating on the design choice of Windows and come to the realization that the top panel vs the bottom panel have psychological allures whether we consciously recognize them or not.

Looking up often is associated with Creative though, and Looking down with Remembering Memory or Memory Retention.

I would further hypothesize that Desktop Icons in the corporate workplace in the hands of a OCD / ADHD person is very productive. For example a OCD person couldn't stand things on their desktop so they might only have tasks they're working on listed and use their Desktop as a sort of "To Do", "Bulletin Board" or "Workspace" for what they're working on at present before filing it away into the file tree.

I'm sure there are other pshycological links between top right or top left window controls, the effects of dark theme on work and light theme or solarized on work in File Manager, Text Editor, etc...
                  What you're describing isn't psychology, but rather neurology and cognitive lingustics; how people create symbolic outer representations of their organisational traits.

You're quite right that one can often tell by looking at a persons desk if that someone has OCD to a varying degree. The desk is clean and everything is symmetrically arranged, neatly categorized and sorted. Their physical desk and how everything on it is arranged is mirrored on their virtual desk(top) on their computer screen. I've yet to see anyone having a mess on their physical desk and a spotless clean virtual desk or vice versa. If you think about it, pretty much every word we've learned to associate with using a computer have a physical representation in the real world: Windows, archives, buttons, files, documents, menus... (there is even a fancy academic word for it, which I forgot)

OCD (and also everything within the autism spectrum range) is very different from ADD/ADHD from a behavioural, neurological and psychological perspective. When it comes to organizational traits, you'll find that those with ADD/ADHD have a much higher degree of clutter on their desks. Studies DO have shown increased creativity in individuals with "it", but that's true for almost any psychiatric and neuropsychiatric condition. Comedians being manodepressive, scientists being autistically ranged and art painters being schizophrenic are known stereotypes.

I'm not at all sure the MS = business and Apple = creativity comparison is true because Windows has its panel at the bottom and OS X at the top. If you look back historically, neither one had any task bar nor start menu until the mid 90s. Apart from Windows being much uglier than MacOS, the icons and menus were placed alike in MacOS 6-7 and Windows 2-3. I dare suggest the reason why business people preferred MSDOS/Windows and creative artists the Macintosh, comes down to the Mac having a graphical interface, which made Photoshop and DTP software popular. Businesses and institutions needed computers to do accounting, file papers and calculate.. err.. calculations. They didn't need much past Lotus 1-2-3, dBase etc.

Do you have any more info or resources to links between looking up/down/left/right and creativity/memory? I don't remember ever coming across it and it's a bit hard to know what keywords to use on Google Scholar.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    My only issue is not being able to put the menu on the left of the screen. Today on 16/9 screens vertical space is precious...
                    On Mint Debian MATE I can keep the panel to the left (or right) fine. Icons are rotated accordingly (text clock/calendar looks kinda weird, but I can live with that).

The hard part is right-clicking on "free" space on the bar so you can open the bar properties.
                    I say "hard part" because most of the bar is actually covered by stuff, buttons, separators and whatever, and you end up opening THEIR properies, not the bar properties.

Close most windows and right click in the bottom center part of the bar (or top center, I mean click as close to screen edge as possible), it should open the menu's context menu (add to panes, properties, new panel, and so on). Click on properties to open the setting window, and then you can choose where the bar should be from the Orientation drop down menu.

Comment

Working...
                    X