Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Is Quite Possibly My Most Favorite Release Yet

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Is Quite Possibly My Most Favorite Release Yet

Fedora 25 is nearly complete and this afternoon we should here whether it will be formally released next week or will be pushed back one week due to lingering blocker bugs. Nevertheless, I've been carrying out more tests on Fedora 25 on multiple test systems in recent days and have been very pleased with this Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are core GNOME apps running under Wayland or XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post
      Are core GNOME apps running under Wayland or XWayland?
      They're using Wayland natively.

Comment

If only all the spins had wayland support too.

Comment

I think I might go with the KDE spin. I just don't like GNOME that much, feels dumbed down in a lot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

They're using Wayland natively.
            What about non-core installed GNOME apps, like LibreOffice, Transmission, etc? What is the general situation? For example, do all GTK+ apps run under Wayland natively? Qt apps? Random stuff you'd find in the store?

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              I think I might go with the KDE spin. I just don't like GNOME that much, feels dumbed down in a lot of places.
              In what way does GNOME feel "dumbed down"? I use Fedora 24 with GNOME plus seven extensions (one of which I wrote) and it feels fast, responsive and most importantly to me, it stays out of my way.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty awesome release. I'll try it out at some point (I'm usually an Ubuntu Gnome guy) on one of the home machines. Really hoping that the wayland by default thing works out well, as we've all been waiting for that for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by amp3030 View Post

What about non-core installed GNOME apps, like LibreOffice, Transmission, etc? What is the general situation? For example, do all GTK+ apps run under Wayland natively? Qt apps? Random stuff you'd find in the store?
                  Most GTK3 apps should be native, as they shouldn't need to call X directly and GTK3 makes it transparent to the application. As for LibreOffice, I believe it's been ported.
                  I'm pretty sure Firefox and most browsers are still XWayland. The same can be said for wine.

Although Qt, I'm not sure, anyone know how they work on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by tjwhaynes View Post

In what way does GNOME feel "dumbed down"? I use Fedora 24 with GNOME plus seven extensions (one of which I wrote) and it feels fast, responsive and most importantly to me, it stays out of my way.
                    Everything just feels hidden away, best case I can give you is creating a new file or a folder in Gnome Files. I had to google how to do it lol. Every sane desktop in 2016 has a right-click cntext menu but gnome Nope, fuck that.

I am also not a fan of the blowout taskbar.

Comment

Working...
                    X