Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust 1.13 Brings ? Operator, Better Performance

Phoronix: Rust 1.13 Brings ? Operator, Better Performance

Rust 1.13 is now available as the latest implementation of this popular and growing programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I started learning Rust. It's interesting, but certainly different from what I am used to.

Still waiting on emoji variables, though.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      I started learning Rust. It's interesting, but certainly different from what I am used to.

Still waiting on emoji variables, though.
      They're supported on Nightly builds.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        What. The. Hell. Is. That.

Master5000 was right, any language after COBOL is madness written by hippie idiots.

/sarcasm (although emoji variables.... no... just no)

Comment

I thought for a moment that it got C-style ? operator.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            I thought for a moment that it got C-style ? operator.
            It doesn't need it. It already has fully conditional assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Nouser View Post
              It doesn't need it. It already has fully conditional assignment.
              Of course. That's why I was wondering!

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                What. The. Hell. Is. That.

Master5000 was right, any language after COBOL is madness written by hippie idiots.

/sarcasm (although emoji variables.... no... just no)
                Well, to be fair, those aren't really emojis like 😊 (which could arguably be difficult to support due to a variety of reasons that were already be explained).
                For now, you have to be creative with foreign characters

And I quite like the fact that you can now input accents and other foreign characters, albeit behind a
                Code:
                #![feature(non_ascii_idents)]
                switch. This will allow for more fully-localized code. Which could be argued is more difficult to work with, but some people I know code in German, including their comments and variable names, which is effectively Chinese to me. Maybe add some local aliasing of the language operators? Although I don't know how you could accommodate local formatting of numbers (comma included) reliably...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  This will allow for more fully-localized code. Which could be argued is more difficult to work with, but some people I know code in German, including their comments and variable names, which is effectively Chinese to me.
                  That's not a feature. Allowing people to write variable names with umlauts and other garbage like that will make the code unreadable for anyone that isn't of the same nationality of the writer. It's already bad enough that people comment in whatever is their shitty language or dialect and not in english (and I'm not a native english speaker myself).

What's next, allowing the code to be written right-to-left Arab-style? Turning language features in specific ideograms to make Chinese/asian feel more at home?

Madness, madness I say.

Comment

And worse: some developers won't be able to type some specific characters used by others, because it's not on their keyboard, so it will be a pain to make code evolutions.
                    Not to mention some characters that may look to be too similar and hard to distinguish for a non-native speaker...

Comment

Working...
                    X