Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Code To Intel's New Linux Wireless Daemon Is Now Public

Phoronix: The Code To Intel's New Linux Wireless Daemon Is Now Public

During this year's systemd conference there was talk of A New Wireless Daemon Is In Development To Potentially Replace wpa_supplicant. At that time the code wasn't yet public to this new open-source WiFi daemon developed by Intel, but since then the code has now opened up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just tried building this. The instructions do not mention how to use iwd, iwmon or iwctl to connect and perform wpa authentication with an AP.

Comment

I haven't been paying attention, but what was wrong with wpa_supplicant and why couldn't it be simply enhanced?
      I know even the best maintained code eventually becomes cheaper to replace than to maintain (and even more so when following the Unix philosophy), but I still don't know the whys in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I haven't been paying attention, but what was wrong with wpa_supplicant and why couldn't it be simply enhanced?
        I know even the best maintained code eventually becomes cheaper to replace than to maintain (and even more so when following the Unix philosophy), but I still don't know the whys in this case.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

What are the implications for non-Intel wifi? Is this supposed to work for them as well>

Comment

I've looked there, it only says what the new daemon does, it doesn't talk of any insurmountable shortcomings of wpa_supplicant.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
              What are the implications for non-Intel wifi? Is this supposed to work for them as well>
              This daemon isn't Intel-specific.

Besides, they can't really claim they want to replace wpa_supplicant with a intel-only daemon when like 90% of the wifi chipsets aren't made by Intel anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I've looked there, it only says what the new daemon does, it doesn't talk of any insurmountable shortcomings of wpa_supplicant.
                Look at the video.
                tl;dr the wpa_supplicant has a shitty API towards userspace requiring "like 60x more code than for an application targeting BlueZ" (citing).

Comment

Working...
                X