NVIDIA Introduces VK_NVX_device_generated_commands Extension To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Introduces VK_NVX_device_generated_commands Extension To Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA Introduces VK_NVX_device_generated_commands Extension To Vulkan

NVIDIA this week announced the introduction of the VK_NVX_device_generated_commands Vulkan extension for allowing the GPU to generate rendering commands on its own...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    Yet still many open-source enthusiasts seem to get bent out of shape when vendor-developed extensions are discussed.
    Open-source "enthusiasts" get upset up about anything and everything. Watch, here comes like ten to "correct" me on how wrong I am, and that I'm not using some inane terminology correctly.

Comment

If nvidia is taking time to develop these extensions, I hope they will take the time to make them standard.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Open-source "enthusiasts" get upset up about anything and everything. Watch, here comes like ten to "correct" me on how wrong I am, and that I'm not using some inane terminology correctly.
        hang on, let me get my pitchfork...

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
          If nvidia is taking time to develop these extensions, I hope they will take the time to make them standard.
          Technically, it's the job of the standards body to scour the market for widespread solutions and include them in their standards. But in this case, Nvidia being a member of both the market and Khronos, so they'll probably end up doing some legwork.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            Actually, GCN can do this. But it's not Nvidia's job, I think. AMD should jump in and they should work out a vendor-independent extension together, making it actually usable for the devs without disadvantage one.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Actually, GCN can do this. But it's not Nvidia's job, I think. AMD should jump in and they should work out a vendor-independent extension together, making it actually usable for the devs without disadvantage one.
              That's what happens when vendor extensions get pulled into the core. This is pretty much the same way OpenGL works. A vendor or vendors implement an extension; if it's widely useful, it's potentially tweaked and eventaully pulled into the core.

Comment

Can any of this and following nvidia extensions for Vulkan being related to the Nintendo Switch custom API, NVN?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  People get upset up about anything and everything.
                  Fixed.
                  It isn't exactly a new phenomenon, please get your facts right.
                  Watch, here comes like ten to "correct" me on how wrong I am, and that I'm not using some inane terminology correctly.
                  Done. Happy now?

Comment

Finally, some progress!
                    Developers spend way too much resources manipulating the queue on the CPU side (culling, LoD, etc.).
                    Now keep advancing and let's move the rest of this detailed logic to the GPU where it belongs.

I'm hoping this kind of stuff will be included in the next iteration of Vulkan so we can start widespread usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X