Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi's Desktop Likely Switching To Compton For Better Performance

Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Debian-based Linux distribution had been using xcompmgr as its compositing window manager on the desktop, but now they will likely be switching to the Compton fork for better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They should switch to a Wayland enabled thing.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
      This isn't an area I'm an expert in (and I say that a lot on this site) but I believe they looked at it and decided that (at the time) there were no lightweight options looking at Wayland yet. I think OpenGL ES is the most important part of getting more power out of the Pi meanwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        I had my hopes up for Maynard distro... it started Jan 2013 (almost 4 years ago) and was announced April 2014 (over 2 years ago) still no release.

By chance I ran latest raspbian yesterday when I tested my LG 29UM68-P on a raspberry pi 2 at work. It needed some changes to /boot/config.txt but no overclocking was needed and my 21:9 2560x1080 screen worked quite well (if you ignore all the lag on the desktop). I wonder if Compton will make the Pi usable as a desktop with firefox and terminal.

Comment

Working...
        X