Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome/Chromium On Linux Adds Motion Sensors Support

Phoronix: Chrome/Chromium On Linux Adds Motion Sensors Support

The latest Chromium open-source browser development code adds support for motion sensors under Chrome OS and Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2017 is coming. Can we have hardware video decoding, please? Anyone know how to contact Chromium management? Most of drivers have same API now (VA-API in amdgpu-pro, VA-API in open source Radeon driver, and finally VA-API in Intel driver, that already supported, but only on ChromeOS).

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      2017 is coming. Can we have hardware video decoding, please? Anyone know how to contact Chromium management? Most of drivers have same API now (VA-API in amdgpu-pro, VA-API in open source Radeon driver, and finally VA-API in Intel driver, that already supported, but only on ChromeOS).
      It's working fine for me...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

It's working fine for me...
        Not possible, unless Gentoo patches chromium with some of the chromebook patches. The vaapi support patch was not merged mainline.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This is cool but highly unnecessary. I'd rather this be an extension.

Google Chrome is really getting to be way too heavy because they keep adding these features that less than 1% of their userbase will actually take advantage of.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            This is cool but highly unnecessary. I'd rather this be an extension.

Google Chrome is really getting to be way too heavy because they keep adding these features that less than 1% of their userbase will actually take advantage of.
            Software bloat is not a new phenomenon, see Parkinson's Law. In short, shit expands to fill space.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
              Software bloat is not a new phenomenon, see Parkinson's Law. In short, shit expands to fill space.
              Being an old phenomenon doesn't make it any less of a problem. Parkinson's law seems to be more in reference to the amount of work done in a given timeframe, where the work will spread out if time warrants it. Though I see your point, this simply cannot be comparable because the space software fills is indefinite. A lot of software these days is obviously designed without regard for the lowest common denominator, but that really shouldn't be the case.

Software has an inevitable increase of size due to a need to keep up with technology. Hardware is getting more complex and can do more things. New APIs/ABIs and standards get created, but many applications must retain backward compatibility. This is a natural flow and though it is technically bloat, it isn't unnecessary "fluff".
              However this feature isn't a necessity and I highly doubt it was in-demand. It's not even all that useful, because there are alternative approaches that would work just fine (such as an extension). I have yet to hear of other browsers that intend to implement the same thing (which decreases the usefulness). The feature is cool, but it is nothing but bloat. I'm perfectly fine with the feature existing, but it shouldn't be part of Chrome.

Comment

So, Firefox removes the battery API to stop fingerprinting, while Chrome adds motion sensors support (which I'm sure can be used to do a lot of... "interesting" things without users consent).

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  There are patches pending to enable this (it is not that hard). Unfortunately fixing or improving things on Linux outside of CrOS is WONTFIX for Google. Well they would enable it if they thought there was no risk, but at the moment they prefer to blacklist all of linux instead of dealing with various crashing drivers.

Comment

Ok now I understand what miss to people bashing Firefox: useless craps.

Comment

Working...
                    X