Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Work Going On To Bring Vulkan To Chromium/Chrome OS

Phoronix: There's Work Going On To Bring Vulkan To Chromium/Chrome OS

While Android already supports Vulkan, Chrome/Chromium OS currently does not support this newest graphics API from The Khronos Group. However, there is work underway in supporting Vulkan on Chromium OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a little confused that they're bringing Vulkan to the OS but doesn't specify adding it to the browser itself. I don't suspect this would accomplish much. 90% of Chrome OS is the web browser itself, and most of the other non-Chrome programs aren't really demanding of GPU power. On top of all of that, I don't think most Chromebooks are compatible with Vulkan (and even if they are, they don't supply working drivers). Also, Chrome on Linux is already pretty picky and limiting on what the GPU can and can't do - I'm not sure if Chromebooks suffer the same issues but I think Google should be prioritizing getting GPUs fully functional on Chrome first.

But, this is all a lot of "what-ifs".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm a little confused that they're bringing Vulkan to the OS but doesn't specify adding it to the browser itself. I don't suspect this would accomplish much. 90% of Chrome OS is the web browser itself, and most of the other non-Chrome programs aren't really demanding of GPU power. On top of all of that, I don't think most Chromebooks are compatible with Vulkan (and even if they are, they don't supply working drivers). Also, Chrome on Linux is already pretty picky and limiting on what the GPU can and can't do - I'm not sure if Chromebooks suffer the same issues but I think Google should be prioritizing getting GPUs fully functional on Chrome first.

Well I'm assuming this would help and could be used with android apps that use Vulkan and run on Chrome OS.

Comment

This is for Android Apps on ChromeOS.

Comment

I'm a little confused that they're bringing Vulkan to the OS but doesn't specify adding it to the browser itself.
          Chromium already has a Vulkan backend. I believe it's used for Skia maybe.. it's being updated regularly, but AFAIK it's still considered experimental.

Comment

Chromium definitely wants to support Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
            X