Ubuntu Developers Continue Talks To Discontinue i386 & PowerPC Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Continue Talks To Discontinue i386 & PowerPC Images

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Continue Talks To Discontinue i386 & PowerPC Images

Discussed today during the Ubuntu 17.04 Online Summit was the dwindling state of PowerPC (32-bit PPC) and i386 (x86 32-bit) support for Ubuntu and overall Linux for that matter. Images are still being produced but likely for not much longer although the package archives are anticipated to remain...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If this frees up resources to improve the maintenance of architectures people actually care about, I'm all for it!

Comment

Yeah 32 bit is pretty much obsolete now. A 32 bit computer typically has 2 GB RAM which isn't very much at all for running a modern desktop.

Comment

That's sad to see that PPC32 is planned to be dropped ... At least, Debian should continue to support PPC64.

Comment

Working...
        X