RadeonSI Gets More Shader Variant Optimizations, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gets More Shader Variant Optimizations, Other Improvements

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gets More Shader Variant Optimizations, Other Improvements

Prolific Mesa developer Marek Olšák has published a new set of 20 patches today for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver in order to further optimize this driver for AMD GCN GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"random improvements" so sometimes I get some gain and sometimes I don't?

Comment

driver for vega is shaping up

Comment

Could someone explain how "asynchronous compilation" works, and what is it good for? If you don't have the compilation result qt some point, don't you risk to see some completely black (YMMV) objects in the render (addmitedly removing some stuttering)?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          Could someone explain how "asynchronous compilation" works, and what is it good for? If you don't have the compilation result qt some point, don't you risk to see some completely black (YMMV) objects in the render (addmitedly removing some stuttering)?
          It is about compiling optimized (depending on opengl state) shader variants asynchronously, the default variant will of course stall.

An extension of this approach would be to go with a completely unoptimized default variant (assuming that it is much faster to compile) to reduce the default stall too.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It can be a fix that improves code readability, a fix of grammar in a comment, a fix that deletes a superfluous assert(), etc. A "random improvement" usually has no effect on performance.
            I was trying to make a joke, but apparently I failed. Maybe I should refrain from making jokes in English since my skill does not seem to be at that level.

Edit: Btw the text talks first about optimizations, but yes, there is word "also" in the sentence that talks about random improvements and clean ups and therefore it's referring to some other improvements than optimizations.
            Last edited by Tomin; 17 November 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
              I was trying to make a joke, but apparently I failed. Maybe I should refrain from making jokes in English since my skill does not seem to be at that level. .
              It was a good joke, just subtle
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                usually games compile shaders upfront, so you have your compiled shaders already. these patches are about optimizing certain combinations of shader stages and gl parameters, which are not known before use.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  usually games compile shaders upfront, so you have your compiled shaders already. these patches are about optimizing certain combinations of shader stages and gl parameters, which are not known before use.
                  Thanks for the explanation.

log0, thanks also. One would however have to weight in some stuttering against low framerates for a few seconds, if the shaders are really unoptimized.

Tomin, I got it, don't worry

Comment

Working...
                  X