Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.3 Released, Fixes Over 300 Issues

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.3 Released, Fixes Over 300 Issues

ReactOS 0.4.3 is now available as the newest version of this open-source OS that seeks to re-implement the interfaces of Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I asked this on the ReactOS subreddit a little while ago, but for anyone who is able to run ReactOS (even a LiveCD would work assuming 3D acceleration exists), could you try out a game called K-Shoot MANIA? Here's the reddit post with more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/reactos/com...atibility_can/ but basically I'd like to know if the game works and if it happens to work well, or if it runs into the same issues Wine on Linux does.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      I asked this on the ReactOS subreddit a little while ago, but for anyone who is able to run ReactOS (even a LiveCD would work assuming 3D acceleration exists), could you try out a game called K-Shoot MANIA? Here's the reddit post with more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/reactos/com...atibility_can/ but basically I'd like to know if the game works and if it happens to work well, or if it runs into the same issues Wine on Linux does.
      ReactOS doesn't really work well yet with the 3D part of Windows XP or 2003 video drivers. And they don't provide their own accelerated drivers either if they ever do they'll will certainly make a big show of it! ... so that would probably be a big no your program won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Holy crap man, you just made my freakin' day. I had no idea there was a PC clone of SDVX.

Comment

Can anyone imagine what those guys could do if they had big money and more developers? We would see a "better windows" than the original, and OpenSource!

Comment

I have a strong desire to test Earth Siege 2 (now free) in ReactOS using their ntvdm.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
              Can anyone imagine what those guys could do if they had big money and more developers? We would see a "better windows" than the original, and OpenSource!
              No, because in order to maintain compatibility with Windows software it's going to be functionally identical to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                No, because in order to maintain compatibility with Windows software it's going to be functionally identical to Windows.
                compatibility does not mean, it has to be exactly like Windows. It has already some benefits that are not in windows like ext4 or btrfs support.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

ReactOS doesn't really work well yet with the 3D part of Windows XP or 2003 video drivers. And they don't provide their own accelerated drivers either if they ever do they'll will certainly make a big show of it! ... so that would probably be a big no your program won't work.
                  Making their own video drivers would be against their whole purpose. ReactOS is not like Wine. Instead of running on top of another OS, it implements the OS driver level interfaces. Ideally any driver that works on Windows will work on ReactOS. One day they'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Making their own video drivers would be against their whole purpose. ReactOS is not like Wine. Instead of running on top of another OS, it implements the OS driver level interfaces. Ideally any driver that works on Windows will work on ReactOS. One day they'll get there.
                    Wouldn't it be nice though, if they could port nouveau or amdgpu to ROS kernel?

Comment

Working...
                    X