Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - The ~$200 GPU Decision For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: GTX 1060 vs. RX 480 - The ~$200 GPU Decision For Linux Gamers

Without a doubt, the Radeon RX 480 is a great ~$200 USD graphics card for someone caring a lot about open-source driver support. But with the Pascal-based NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 also costing about the same, what's the better decision for a Linux gamer who may not be religious about his driver choices? Here is some food for thought...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The AMD driver stack has improved so much in recent months that I'm quite happy with my 290. I'd buy AMD again. Bring on the Vega...

Comment

6GB version and 3GB version cards are different card altogether. Performance vice neither(nor RX 480) are really upgrade from R9-290 though, I would say side grade(Well of course considering windows perf). Real upgrade would be gtx1070, but that is probably way out of budget. Of course there are other factors than performance too like hdmi2.0, energy efficiency, hevc decoding etc. which might be considered as upgrade.

Will Eric keep that R9-290 for mesa testing, or will he use that gtx 1060 only for future game reviews?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        6GB version and 3GB version cards are different card altogether. Performance vice neither(nor RX 480) are really upgrade from R9-290 though, I would say side grade(Well of course considering windows perf).
        In my 1060 review I didn't use the R9 290 since it's still regressed but if you look at where it would fit in, it should be a healthy difference - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-gtx1060&num=2
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

it is a decision for windows gamers. linux gamers can't have option of nvidia since nvidia has no linux driver. btw, article is full of bullshit excuses like 'amd has no freesync in mainline driver, so i chose nvidia which has no freesync at all and no mainline driver at all'. dal is available in amd kernel repo and you can install it in a few clicks https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...taging-kernel/

Comment

What a shocker. Who saw it coming?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
              The AMD driver stack has improved so much in recent months that I'm quite happy with my 290. I'd buy AMD again. Bring on the Vega...
              I was happy with my 270X until it dies and the new 370 is shining now too. And bring on the Vega+ for retro-gaming. ;-)
              Sir Clive Sinclair and Retro Computers Ltd announce the launch of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega+ | Check out 'The Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus Console' on Indiegogo.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                it is a decision for windows gamers. linux gamers can't have option of nvidia since nvidia has no linux driver.
                That makes no sense. nVidia's Linux driver, although closed source, is brilliant for gaming, as is their Windows driver. People often forget you also have freedom of choice, not just freedom of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Some retarded moron that doesn't have a brain
                  linux gamers can't have option of nvidia since nvidia has no linux driver.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some people just love to go FULL RETARD for no reason.

Comment

Hmm I use an RX480 and it works really well …

Comment

Working...
                    X