WSL-Distribution-Switcher Swaps Out Ubuntu For Other Distros On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSL-Distribution-Switcher Swaps Out Ubuntu For Other Distros On Windows

Phoronix: WSL-Distribution-Switcher Swaps Out Ubuntu For Other Distros On Windows

With the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) that allows for "Bash on Windows" via the Windows 10 Anniversary update, Ubuntu is the default choice while a new WSL-Distribution-Switcher open-source project makes it easy to now load the distribution of your choice under Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As cool as this feature sounds, I'm finding it useless. You can't access C: from the bash shell, or do anything with the host system. Using Cygwin gives me more functionality, or even running Docker for a nix shell would be better.

Comment

I hadn't realised this was released with the anniversary update. This prompted me to look, and I've just installed it. Git doesn't seem to work

Edit : it seems ssh was the issue, works fine when I clone using http
      Last edited by kaprikawn; 20 November 2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nullsteph View Post
        As cool as this feature sounds, I'm finding it useless. You can't access C: from the bash shell, or do anything with the host system. Using Cygwin gives me more functionality, or even running Docker for a nix shell would be better.
        Good info. This may sound a bit sadistic, but I'm glad user experience hasn't been good. It would be horribly bad if folks started using WSL instead of adopting Linux,

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Good info. This may sound a bit sadistic, but I'm glad user experience hasn't been good. It would be horribly bad if folks started using WSL instead of adopting Linux,
          Having a bad experience with WSL isn't going to make people like Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

Having a bad experience with WSL isn't going to make people like Linux.
            Not like, adopt. I think there's a difference in that adopting a linux distribution is often times the first experience people get with open source. And it's a powerful experience for many people.

Comment

Originally posted by nullsteph View Post
              You can't access C: from the bash shell, or do anything with the host system.
              You can trivially access C: (its in /mnt/c/, and that's well documented - you clearly way too much are misinformed!)

In the next version you'll be able to launch Win32 .exe from WSL - it's already possible in the last Insider versions. The way it has been implemented is even quite good: it uses a standard Linux interface (binfmt_misc)

Comment

Originally posted by xilun View Post

You can trivially access C: (its in /mnt/c/, and that's well documented - you clearly way too much are misinformed!)

In the next version you'll be able to launch Win32 .exe from WSL - it's already possible in the last Insider versions. The way it has been implemented is even quite good: it uses a standard Linux interface (binfmt_misc)
                you are an "insider", aren't you

Comment

The question is not if, is when. Its just a matter of time until WSL become as good as bash on linux, probably even better since it can be used on windows and integrated with their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The question is not if, is when. Its just a matter of time until WSL become as good as bash on linux, probably even better since it can be used on windows and integrated with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                    X