Linux 4.9-rc6 Released, Final Might Be Pushed Back By Another Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9-rc6 Released, Final Might Be Pushed Back By Another Week

Phoronix: Linux 4.9-rc6 Released, Final Might Be Pushed Back By Another Week

The sixth weekly test release of the Linux 4.9 kernel is now available while Linus Torvalds is still deciding how many more RCs to go before officially releasing this huge kernel update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It boots to a black screen for me. I am able to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot it and I was able to ssh to it from my cell phone and check out the log files. It looks like it's failing because it can't find firmware file tonga_k_smc.bin. Thoughts, solutions, workarounds anyone?
    Z170, i7 6700K, R9 380x

Comment

Originally posted by DonQ View Post
      It boots to a black screen for me. I am able to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot it and I was able to ssh to it from my cell phone and check out the log files. It looks like it's failing because it can't find firmware file tonga_k_smc.bin. Thoughts, solutions, workarounds anyone?
      Z170, i7 6700K, R9 380x
      Nevermind, I found it https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/, copied it to /lib/firmware/amdgpu and X booted without errors. Will test tonight for stability.

Comment

How do you actually use this in any distro? I thought it's Fedora related? Will it work on Arch Linux? Will it also make audio over HDMI work?

Comment

Working...
        X