Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Vulkan Linux Driver Lands Cull & Clip Distance Support

Phoronix: Intel Vulkan Linux Driver Lands Cull & Clip Distance Support

After a number of commits landed in mainline Mesa Git in the early hours of this morning, cull and clip distance support has been enabled for the open-source Intel Vulkan "ANV" Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about more code sharing with other drivers too?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I don't think you can have many cross-vendor similarities (that can take meaningful advantage of code sharing) in a vulkan implementation. What do you think should/could be shared here?

Comment

The whole point of Vulkan was to only provide the bare minimum driver to run the hardware, which means that code sharing between different drivers isn't really possible. The shared code bits are now part of the client application code (game) not the drivers.

There's a bit that's already done (WSI, SPIRV->NIR) and that's pretty much all of it.

Comment

As smitty said, various stages up to NIR are already shared. When transforming from NIR to driver-specific code, there's less sharing. The radv driver uses a NIR->LLVM pass which could conceivably eventually be used by other drivers, but even them there's a bunch of radeon/amdgpu specific stuff going on there.

Comment

There's actually not much left to share. The SPIR-V support is shared between anv and radv. The compiler backend and ISL/BLORP are both shared between anv/i965 (though there is more i965 code we can delete).

The only Intel-Vulkan specific code left is in src/intel/vulkan, and it's only 35 .c/.h files with about 21,000 lines of code. That's smaller than some abstraction layers.
            Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
            Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Working...
            X