No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell & Mutter Land New 3.24 Development Releases, NVIDIA Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter Land New 3.24 Development Releases, NVIDIA Wayland Support

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter Land New 3.24 Development Releases, NVIDIA Wayland Support

They missed Tuesday's GNOME 3.23.2 release, but available as of Wednesday evening is Mutter 3.23.2 and GNOME Shell 3.23.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I am currently on Ubuntu with nVidia proprietary driver. I was waiting to see which one materializes first, Unity 8 or Gnome Wayland. It looks like I will be switching to Ubuntu Gnome then.

Comment

I just want to try a
      every frame is perfect
      experience for which I have been waiting for since 2008. I'll try what ever is available first but my daily driver is still going to be xorg for the forsee able future.

Comment

Those who want to try out the latest GNOME releases can add the gnome-unstable to the /etc/pacman.conf file:

Code:
        [gnome-unstable]
        Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
        Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...gnome-unstable

Not suited for production environment, so if there are any bugs in GNOME, you will need to report it upstream.

Comment

Why did my post disappear? Seems I got an error message.

Anyway, here the link to gnome-unstable for Arch Linux users for those who want it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...gnome-unstable

Comment

I'm curious to see what happens to mutter when gsk works out its major issues.
            The relatively new addition to mutter of meta_renderer appears to take on some of the duties of gsk, though I'd love to know why the, apparent, duplication of work.
            Additionally, clutter seems to be wound all about the mutter code.
            The occasional comment would also certainly be nice, along with tests that do more than create/destroy/minimize/maximize/assert stacking order clients and windows. Yeah, these are great for sanity checking but with mutter now being responsible for handling the session, it needs to be as solid as X server.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              Why did my post disappear? Seems I got an error message.

Anyway, here the link to gnome-unstable for Arch Linux users for those who want it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...gnome-unstable
              Way too complicated and probably won't even work if the package hasn't been built with --use-egl-device.

# abs extra/mutter
              Remove the commit part from source array to build from HEAD
              Add --use-egl-device to the configure step
              # makepkg -si
              Profit!

Also make sure to load nvidia-drm with modeset=1 parameter.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Way too complicated and probably won't even work if the package hasn't been built with --use-egl-device.

# abs extra/mutter
                Remove the commit part from source array to build from HEAD
                Add --use-egl-device to the configure step
                # makepkg -si
                Profit!

Also make sure to load nvidia-drm with modeset=1 parameter.
                --enable-egl-device

Comment

Originally posted by Necrogrinder View Post

--enable-egl-device
                  Right, got that mixed up with the --use-egldevice parameter for Weston with EGLStream patches.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                    I just want to try a experience for which I have been waiting for since 2008. I'll try what ever is available first but my daily driver is still going to be xorg for the forsee able future.
                    Been using Gnome on Wayland for a little while (AMDGPU though), and it looks really nice. No tearing anywhere. Didn't experience any stutter either.

Comment

Working...
                    X