Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 5.3 Beta Available For Beta Testing

Phoronix: LibreOffice 5.3 Beta Available For Beta Testing

This week the first public beta of LibreOffice 5.3 rolled out for testing ahead of the open-source office suite's big official update in early February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the UI is still stuck in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      In what way? I dread the day it gets The Ribbonâ„¢.

Comment

Are they still working on removing the Java dependency?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

In what way? I dread the day it gets The Ribbonâ„¢.
          Well, actually, in 5.3 version will be available a prototype of a ribbon (called Notebook)...

Disclaimer: This is work in progress, and it is not how it will look like in the end. The current situation With the Design team, we are working on improving toolbars in LibreOffice. This is part o…

AFAIK, it will be possible to choose between the ribbon and non-ribbon interface...

Comment

They were supposed to include Notebookbar in this release but I cannot find it.

Comment

LibreOffice Calc is slow!

I use LibreOffice Calc (5.2 and 5.3beta) with around 10 Worksheets and 2000-3000 rows Data per Worksheet. The Data consits of Date and a Floatingpoint Value. All I do is doing some relative percentage returns on these values as well as calculating distributions. Drawing a Chart and a Historgram.

So at the end the Sheet consists of the following stuff:

1 of 10 Sheets contains, 2000-3000 Data rows
              1 manual calculated column of relative percentage of these values
              1 manual calculated column of distributions returned
              1 Chart of the Data (Date and Floatingpoint)
              1 Historgram of the distribution returned

The entire ODS file contains 10 Sheets 20.000 - 30.000 Data rows, 20-30 Drawings (Charts and Historgrams)

When scrolling through these pages the entire system starts to freeze up. Using the mouse wheel for scrolling up and down makes you watch how line per line is going up or down according the mouse movement. You can go and have a coffee break during the movement phase if you put it that way.

I even tried to increase the memory for graphical objects but had no success. Only disabling antialiasing helped for a while. Also tried changing the VCS backend didn't do much here.

Though! Still! I also have another Windows10 partition on the same machine with Excel installed. Excel rushes through the pages like a charm without even getting any lockups or freezes because of the graphics to be rendered.

Even google-chrome with 20 Tabs open and all kind of graphics and pictures works much smoother here.

After googling for this issue, I found out that this problem is being reported by plenty of other people. Even with less Data rows and smaller graphics.

What I would really like to see is performance bottlenecks being worked on for the upcoming versions of LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Naervaer View Post
                They were supposed to include Notebookbar in this release but I cannot find it.
                Still a WIP, but this should work.

Enable experimental features (Options > Libreoffice Dev > Advanced > Enable experimental features). Then you can enable the notebookbar through View > Toolbar Layout > Notebookbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  LibreOffice Calc is slow!

I use LibreOffice Calc (5.2 and 5.3beta) with around 10 Worksheets and 2000-3000 rows Data per Worksheet. The Data consits of Date and a Floatingpoint Value. All I do is doing some relative percentage returns on these values as well as calculating distributions. Drawing a Chart and a Historgram.

What I would really like to see is performance bottlenecks being worked on for the upcoming versions of LibreOffice.
                  Pretty much every release has some performance fixes, like this one they worked on speeding up the gui.

Some ideas:
                  1. Is the document in ODS format? Libreoffice is allot faster at reading its native file format than excel's.
                  2. Is the OpenCL enabled? Does opencl work with your graphics card (or card driver)? Try opening the document under windows 10 with a windows copy of libreoffice... the slowdown might be because it can't use your graphics card for calculations under linux.

Those are the only things I can think of. Try libreoffice under windows and see if it is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    1. Is the document in ODS format? Libreoffice is allot faster at reading its native file format than excel's.
                    Yes it is in native ODS format. But there is no reading issue. There is an performance issue if graphics like charts are embedded in the sheets.

2. Is the OpenCL enabled? Does opencl work with your graphics card (or card driver)?
                    No! OpenCL is not enabled! Again! There are no issues with "calculating"! There are issues as soon as charts and graphics are embedded in the sheets.

Those are the only things I can think of. Try libreoffice under windows and see if it is faster.
                    Already done that! Still switching back to Excel because of the performance bottlenecks within LibreOffice Calc and charts. The only thing that helped so war was disabling Antialiasing inside LibreOffice options. Though! It still crawls!

Comment

Working...
                    X