Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Darktable OpenCL Photography Performance

Phoronix: 20-Way NVIDIA/AMD GPU Darktable OpenCL Photography Performance

With the holiday season in full swing, whether you are just a casual photographer or professional, Darktable is easily one of the best photography workflow applications and it's free software! Darktable has offered OpenCL acceleration for providing faster performance on GPUs and with the imminent Darktable 2.2 release there is even better OpenCL results. For those curious about the OpenCL performance of Darktable, I've done some Darktable 2.2-RC1 benchmarks on a variety of NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love darktable, though i wish the ui was as simple as lightroom. definitely powerful though

Comment

i doubt that nvidia has a problem with opencl. They simply don't what that the beginner and middle class cards perform well with opencl.

Comment

Cool! I like this test suite and hope to see more of it - Well done Michael !

Comment

Really nice test. Hopefully soon we will be able to see OpenCL tests with the open AMD driver.

Comment

Very interesting results. It's great to see AMD cards performing that well.

Comment

That increases my longing for an OpenCL implementation in the free stack. Or a more modern AMD GPU. I use Darktable quite often and this benchmark really shows the possibilities of OpenCL for certain tasks.
              Very interesting test!
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

@Michael: Are the CPU tests single-threaded? I couldn't find this information in the article (or maybe I just missed it)

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
                  @Michael: Are the CPU tests single-threaded? I couldn't find this information in the article (or maybe I just missed it)
                  No, they are HEAVELY multithreaded. Lots of CPUs take more than a minute for the "boat" test.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Time to release the OpenCL code AMD?Just yesterday we were talking about how useless is the FOSS driver in that regard.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X