Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Darktable GPU/CPU Benchmarks - 27 Different Setups

Phoronix: More Darktable GPU/CPU Benchmarks - 27 Different Setups

This morning I posted a 20-way Darktable OpenCL comparison for this open-source digital photography workflow software that can make great use of GPUs. Those results were well-received and there were requests for more CPU data, so here are some Darktable benchmarks on more Linux boxes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any idea why a i5-6500 is nearly twice as fast as a i5-6600k?

Comment

Michael,

Is that a Maxwell based Titan X or a Pascal based one? I couldn't find it from the article.

Comment

Do you have AMD APU supported by AMDGPU PRO that can run this test?

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
          Michael,

Is that a Maxwell based Titan X or a Pascal based one? I couldn't find it from the article.
          Maxwell, I don't have the Pascal.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Latest Beignet works for me on Broadwell:

Code:
            *GPU*: [dev_process_export] pixel pipeline processing took [B]*64,495*[/B] secs (14,497 CPU)

*CPU*: [dev_process_export] pixel pipeline processing took [B]*43,410*[/B] secs (168,420 CPU)

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)

Linux arch-laptop 4.8.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 11:55:43 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

By the way, *VERY* interesting benchmark Michael. But it would be interesting to see Beignet vs CPU on Iris.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                Any idea why a i5-6500 is nearly twice as fast as a i5-6600k?
                Seems to me Darktable is poorly optimized with OpenCL. It also doesn't really make sense how the RX 480 in one test is over twice as fast as the Fury. Though some of the Nvidia results are weird, I think a lot of those can be blamed on driver issues, but most of these results seem weirdly out-of-place.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Maxwell, I don't have the Pascal.
                  Then that's extremely impressive that it outperformed everything else, including the Pascal cards. Maybe it's the extra memory?

Comment

Thank you Michael for all the testing, i think darktable and opencl deserve this attention.

Some words to the benchmark:
                    It's not a boat, it's a ship on Lake Lucerne. And anyone who uses this photo for testing should spend his/her next holiday in Switzerland ;-)

I activated usual modules in the xmp-file, just added denoise and equalizer as some bonus of heavy gpu-workload. So i think it is a really good example of what opencl can do here for a normal photographer. Of course many people never use these modules, and a full export with only some little white-balance is much faster. In that case, you won't see much difference with or without gpu.

Just keep in mind that this benchmark is about export. During interactive work, the gpu also helps very much in faster applying modules or zooming in/out the picture. So _any_ of the tested gpu is very good, some are just better. Personally i am a bit surprised about the big gap between GTX 1050Ti and GTX 1060.

For those who want to investigate the modules in darktable itself, here are the two files:

darktable-cli bench.SRW test.jpg --core -d perf -d opencl
                    or
                    darktable-cli bench.SRW test.jpg --core --disable-opencl -d perf

Its a Samsung aps-c-raw, by the way.

Michael, if you want to burn you cards in a heavier test: You could take a BIG raw like one from Hasselblad medium format:

and then apply my xmp-file with this raw. Maybe the ranking is the same, maybe not. Looks like it takes 6 times longer than the raw from my Samsung on a GTX 1060. Which is a lot.

Finally let's hope that we get soon some numbers with the open source drivers.....

Comment

Working...
                    X