Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.04 Likely To Settle On Linux 4.10, Release On 13 April

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.04 Likely To Settle On Linux 4.10, Release On 13 April

Ubuntu's kernel team will likely be targeting the Linux 4.10 kernel for April's release of Ubuntu 17.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

people still use Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      people still use Ubuntu?

Comment

people still use Ubuntu?
        It's not like we have a choice.

Comment

You know the weird thing is I looked at this exact data independently several days ago.

I thought to myself that DistroWatch is a very unfair way of gathering real data since it's based on internal pageviews on their website. (Their site looks like shit still)

Ubuntu knows how to drum-roll every 6 months generating tons and tons of back-links and interest. It's like a reoccurring campaign to convert people to their system.

So two different metrics, one search volume, the other page views.

Lets throw out another metric:
          Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

There used to be another metric available by DistroDB. It would be nice is there was some clean way of identify users and installs for each distro.

Comment

Wouldn't 4.9 make more sense? It will be LTS and what Debian is using.

Comment

people still use Ubuntu?
              Yep, because for example Manjaro installer won't be able to complete installation if you choose Cyrillic keyboard layout. Latin keyboard layout get removed immediately in LiveUSB session, so you won't be able to enter username and password in installer. Sure, you could add Latin keyboard layout back, complete installation, reboot, and... here is only Cyrillic again! Sure, you could choice auto-login in installer, or use LiveUSB again to edit configuration files or something, to get Latin keyboard layout back, but... WTF? Kubuntu installer don't do stupid things with keyboard layouts and don't forget to add keyboard layout indicator and hotkey to switch between keyboard layout, like any normal installer would do.

Comment

Maybe it's time to finally check out Arch.

Comment

I think you will find that Mint took a large chunk of Ubuntu's googles and distrowatch page hits. Not that those are good metrics anyway...

Comment

I like Ubuntu LTS's. They provide the backbone and second-to-none infrastructure to allow awesome things to come to existence. Like the equally awesome KDE Neon.

Comment

Working...
                    X