Unity 5.5 Ships With Improved Particle System & Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 5.5 Ships With Improved Particle System & Other New Features

Phoronix: Unity 5.5 Ships With Improved Particle System & Other New Features

Unity 5.5 is now available and one of its big features is something that won't be too iunteresting to Linux folks: Microsoft HoloLens is now officially support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting, seems just in time since Israel and the Ukraine have started developing it for military use.

Comment

I think the author should really make a clear distinction between Unity (modern cross platform game engine) and Unity (Ubuntu default desktop environment).
      Of course it is easy to make the distinction by the version number in the title, and the general nature and content of the article. But I think it might be confusing for someone coming here looking for linux news, seeing Unity in the title, and assuming it is an article about Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
        ... someone coming here looking for linux news, seeing Unity in the title, and assuming it is an article about Ubuntu.
        There is a good chance that this is intentional.

Comment

Unity 5.5 should be clear it's not Ubuntu. I'm annoyed it's not native on Linux to download, but glad its on OS X/macOS Sierra. What I find annoying is the MonoDevelop.app that is a pig in size.

They should leverage the native Developer tools on the platforms they support.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            I'm annoyed it's not native on Linux to download, but glad its on OS X/macOS Sierra.
            Not sure what you mean exactly, but there is a Linux Editor 5.5 available for download:

you won't find the link directly on the main page as it's currently experimental, but the little work I did on it, it's working fine for me.

Comment

The marketplace screen is still missing but I look more forward for Vulkan export to PC. Wonder how much work it will be to export a DX11/Windows scene to Vulkan/Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                The marketplace screen is still missing but I look more forward for Vulkan export to PC. Wonder how much work it will be to export a DX11/Windows scene to Vulkan/Linux?
                I was under the impression that the rendering API offload was dealt with by the game engine developers, so you don't have to deal with that yourself. You just load assets and tell it "render them".

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  They are working on Vulkan (experimentally?) for 5.6. The developer was working on running Vulkan on Wayland just to see the work involved during a hackathon they had a few month ago. I'm pretty sure we'll get this in 2017. Vulkan is a lot less work for the Unity folks to maintain than their current workarounds.

Comment

Working...
                  X