No announcement yet.

Forum Spam/Filtering Redesign; 300+ Linux News/Articles/Reviews For November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Spam/Filtering Redesign; 300+ Linux News/Articles/Reviews For November

Phoronix: Forum Spam/Filtering Redesign; 300+ Linux News/Articles/Reviews For November

Just a few notes to get December kicked off on Phoronix, including good news for Phoronix Forums participants...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well, better late than never

Comment

I wouldn't mind fewer articles but higher quality.

Some tables, images, lists, and markup for acronyms and abbreviations. Clear citation of sources. Some markup for quotes and blockquotes.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I wouldn't mind fewer articles but higher quality.

Some tables, images, lists, and markup for acronyms and abbreviations. Clear citation of sources. Some markup for quotes and blockquotes.
        That would be possible, but only if there were more premium users and far less ad-blockers.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael uBlock is off but the ads tracking my behavior or something the built-in blocker of FF just blocks them. I don't have anything against banners that just notify me of something related to your article and if I wasn't a student and would earn my own money I would tip you especially for the last ones. Maybe you find some ads that don't get auto-blocked by Firefox?

Comment

Sounds nice. Still a bit too much work maybe. "Employing" more volunteer moderators could help, if you have people who trust.

Comment

Also this is a good opportunity for bringing back the edit button. (Double post intended.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Also this is a good opportunity for bringing back the edit button. (Double post intended.)
                Yep, should be restored now.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael, perhaps you should try creating a "Phoronix Wiki", where you (or other forum members) can create/edit articles based on terminology that is frequently used. So for example when you have some benchmarks about a Mesa update, you could have wiki pages for Mesa and gallium3D explaining to newbies what those are. You can link to these pages during your main articles. As I'm sure you're well aware, many users complain about phrasing and certain details, so by allowing [premium] members to modify the articles, you can take a lot of the load off your hands. Since this would be part of Phoronix, you'd still get ad revenue.

IMO, everybody wins by doing this - you get ad money, people get the information they want without having to ask for it, you don't have to put in that much work yourself, and everything is phrased the way the userbase deems agreeable.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 01 December 2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                    Michael uBlock is off but the ads tracking my behavior or something the built-in blocker of FF just blocks them. I don't have anything against banners that just notify me of something related to your article and if I wasn't a student and would earn my own money I would tip you especially for the last ones. Maybe you find some ads that don't get auto-blocked by Firefox?
                    We've been there before. We told Michael he isn't showing any ads even with ad-block disabled because of the ton of sites that are needed to tun JavaScript in order to show ads. At the time, the sites were coming from amazon and google (thus were probably safe). Still, it's at least questionable when a site that can't track you chooses to not show any ad instead of serving something generic.

Comment

Working...
                    X