Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro & Linux Don't Mix

Phoronix: Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro & Linux Don't Mix

Last month I shared that Linux tests of the 2016 MacBook Pro would be coming and now I've finally managed to complete a few, but I highly encourage you not to get the new MacBook Pro if you plan on using anything other than macOS as the experience is a wreck. This is one laptop I don't mind seeing returned!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As you mention in your article, a Dell XPS 13 would certainly be a better choice for a premium notebook that has solid Linux support.

Comment

Well, what could we expect from Apple? Nice design, absolute lock-in. That's why I wouldn't recommend Apple even to my worst enemies...

Thank you, Michael, in any case for the testing.
      Last edited by jsa1983; 01 December 2016, 03:45 PM.

Comment

why buy mac for linux? buy a asus zenbook or a dell xps, more cheaper and at least they work

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
          Well, what could we expect from Apple? Nice design, absolute lock-in. That's why I wouldn't recommend Apple even to my worst enemies...

Thank you, Michael, in any case for the testing.
          Well, this 'nice design' is entirely superficial. Just look f.i. at the crippled arrow keys and the crappy chargers. And the touch bar is imo plain stupid, because you cannot use it 'blind'. And what about repair and what about hardware upgrades and what about compatibility with external hardware...? Such aspects are part of really good design, and Apple neglects them.

Comment

Heh, i hoped to see some results of that low watt RX 460... revision ef

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
              Well, this 'nice design' is entirely superficial. Just look f.i. at the crippled arrow keys
              Wow, I haven't noticed that. I thought only crappy low-end HP laptops had those unusable keys.

And the touch bar is imo plain stupid, because you cannot use it 'blind'.
              I don't think their touch bar is utterly stupid but it isn't new at all. My 2009 laptop has tactile media keys (but it didn't have a screen). Nothing special at all and I agree that this is a major disadvantage. And I mean, what the fuck? An escape key outside of the keyboard?

what about repair and what about hardware upgrades and what about compatibility with external hardware...? Such aspects are part of really good design, and Apple neglects them.
              I don't think that, aside of gamer laptops, you will get the possibility to repair and upgrade your hardware though (but gamer/beefy laptops are the kind of hardware true professionals would use for professional creation).
              Are today's external GPUs good enough? I remember that a few years ago they were pretty bad because of their connectivity.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                Are today's external GPUs good enough? I remember that a few years ago they were pretty bad because of their connectivity.
                FYI: M.2 ports for SSDs are a PCIe x4 port with different physical connector, usually PCIe 3.0, might have become 4.0 while I wasn't watching.

It's a fuckton of bandwith, back then you had what, miniPCIe which was a x1 PCIe 1.0? Also Expresscards. NEVER FORGET EXPRESSCARDS.

Comment

Oh, boo hoo. It's designed for OS X/macOS and Bootcamp.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    why buy mac for linux? buy a asus zenbook or a dell xps, more cheaper and at least they work
                    because they are the LAST vendor that offers a 16:10 screen! Am I the only one who misses vertical space at a 13" 16:9 laptop?

Comment

Working...
                    X