Steam's November 2016 Metrics Put Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.88%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's November 2016 Metrics Put Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.88%

Phoronix: Steam's November 2016 Metrics Put Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.88%

With the start of the new month comes updated statistics from Valve with their Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just had the survey in the first time in over a year

It'll be incorrect though as it only detected the on board Skylake graphics and not the dGPU

Comment

I have not had the survey for a while either.

Comment

Switching to linux. First time i have ever had hardware survey and it was on nov 29th. New os install and steam validation. Funny thing is i was trying to figure out issues with my radeon 280x drivers or lack there of...

Comment

I'm more interested in the number of users than the marketshare. It's possible that Linux has grown a lot, just not as much as windows users.

Comment

While experimenting with different new windows installations, I cancelled 4 or 5 surveys just in the past 2 weeks. I'm sure their RNG works just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              While experimenting with different new windows installations, I cancelled 4 or 5 surveys just in the past 2 weeks. I'm sure their RNG works just fine...
              Seems like it does.
              I frequently get the survey on linux since I often switch distros and reinstall steam.

Comment

I really hope the AMD drivers can become usable in the next year. I dislike Windows as much as anyone, but was forced to start running it again for gaming after two dedicated months of attempting to use Linux exclusively. I know they are working for a few cards, but for my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 it was a no go. I had a lot of fun compiling kernels, debugging, and I got some things working, but after so long I realized that no matter what I did the drivers simply aren't ready yet. I'm not giving up though, and will keep checking back every few months to see how things are going.

Comment

I wonder how many linux users really use steam.
                  I don't and I probably never will.

You should make a survey usage of steam on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                    Switching to linux. First time i have ever had hardware survey and it was on nov 29th. New os install and steam validation. Funny thing is i was trying to figure out issues with my radeon 280x drivers or lack there of...
                    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    I really hope the AMD drivers can become usable in the next year. I dislike Windows as much as anyone, but was forced to start running it again for gaming after two dedicated months of attempting to use Linux exclusively. I know they are working for a few cards, but for my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 it was a no go. I had a lot of fun compiling kernels, debugging, and I got some things working, but after so long I realized that no matter what I did the drivers simply aren't ready yet. I'm not giving up though, and will keep checking back every few months to see how things are going.
                    For those coming from windows, I strongly advise you against the PRO driver, which you shouldn't be running unless you have very specific needs.
                    It is much better to just use the ones that comes with your distribution, albeit those can be quite old for some, especially Ubuntu.
                    Hopefully we will see a PPA with most recent stable drivers for Ubuntu, following last month's Feral's statement.

The catch here for now on the open source drivers is this missing "DC" component in the kernel, so no audio over HDMI, HDMI 2.0, nor freesync for now on newer GPUs.
                    If you need those, you can either run a patched kernel (probably compiled by your distribution), or come back later
                    Then, I say this, but you might already be aware of all that, and tried everything you could in this regard.
                    So yeah, this might be a bit of a mess for now, but it's getting better.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    I am pretty sure that if you are selected at the beginning of the month, the survey will keep popping up, even on different computers. At least, that's how it used to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X