Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Experiments With A Sailfish OS Watch

Phoronix: Jolla Experiments With A Sailfish OS Watch

Jolla engineers have spent the past few weeks porting Sailfish OS to an Android smartwatch as they feel their Linux-based OS is particularly suited for small screens...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When we can barely get 1 day out of our smartphones, how does anyone think a smartwatch is something viable?
    Smartwatches are the future, but definitely not the present.
    They're just like NetBooks: almost there, but not quite there, yet...

Comment

Pardon my language, but fuck Jolla Smartwatch.

They should be concentrating on getting a new phone out! Old ones are unavailable, and really dated even if they were. And Intex Fish is not much of an upgrade, and even that is unavailable. And developer edition is sold out unavailable. How am I supposed to give them my money if they have no product to sell???

THEN they should concentrate on phone features and Android compatibility. It's good, but it should be better. And Android apps drain battery on Jolla like crazy. Native apps are OK, but often lack features.

BTW, I have a Xiami Band 2. Not a smart watch, it's of a fitness tracker, but it has bluetooth and a display and alarms, and some other stuff. Battery lasts ~1 month. So with careful design and software, and limited features, it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        Pardon my language, but fuck Jolla Smartwatch.

They should be concentrating on getting a new phone out! Old ones are unavailable, and really dated even if they were. And Intex Fish is not much of an upgrade, and even that is unavailable. And developer edition is sold out unavailable. How am I supposed to give them my money if they have no product to sell???
        Be sure the only thing they did was offering a free job to a trainee, just to make a small buzz with this great Swatch news.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          When we can barely get 1 day out of our smartphones, how does anyone think a smartwatch is something viable?
          Smartwatches are the future
          The future? Smartwatches seem so useless... I can understand a fitness tracker is useful, but a Smartwatch is nothing more than a geek/applefan toy.
          (btw why Smart? it is just stupid led screen pushed by blutooth)

Comment

Comment

So how long before Dave9999 or one of the other idiots who always moans about the second half of the tablet refunds invades the comments to the blog post to moan about how they haven't gotten their full refund? That particular person shows up in the comments of every post on the official Jolla blog without fail to endlessly complain about how he hasn't gotten the second half of his refund even thou he's been told time and time again that it's coming in the second half of 2017 almost a dozen times already.

As for the actual watch, it's a nice tech demo showing how flexible Sailfish is, but I think it's kind of pointless. We've seen that smartwatches were just a fad and that most of the companies who hopped on the Android Wear platform (including Motorola) have come out telling people that they don't have any new products in the pipeline even when Android Wear 2.0 is supposed to come out early next year. On the bright side it's thankfully just an Android Wear device running SailfishOS and not a new device (thou they aren't going to be making any new devices themselves from now on).

Comment

FUCK JOLLA WITH A RUSTY CHAINSAW!

It's been more than 2 years now since I paid those thieves for a Tablet that they clearly had no intention of delivering. They have no business doing anything else until they refund the money they stole from the backers of their last failed product. Smartwatch FUCK NO! That's fucking stupid no matter what.

Michael, why the FUCK do you continue to give coverage to Jolla? The only news about those thieves should be their continued failure to pay back those who once believed they were something other than scum. If you can't stop, then please die in a fire, bitch! Also, proofread your shit posts, I'm tired of reading around the disgusting slop you use in place of proper grammar.

Comment

I love the honesty of this thread and the expressions of anger through freedom of speech because it shows that we as a Linux community are no longer only a left-brain dominated community. After programming in 13 languages and speaking fumblingly in 3 languages I think my language center has moved from the left hemisphere to the right and I think it really boosts productivity, creativity, abstraction and applying intuition to the machine of writing good syntax with a edge.

Anways, fsck Jolla! I nearly bought a Tablet from them, they must be insane to try to pick up more knacks when they can't even chew what they've bit off.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

The future? Smartwatches seem so useless... I can understand a fitness tracker is useful, but a Smartwatch is nothing more than a geek/applefan toy.
                    (btw why Smart? it is just stupid led screen pushed by blutooth)
                    Imagine pico projector, 3D touch hologram... thus 'future'... way future... that's how envision things.
                    But yeah, by todays' standards, samrtwatches aren't smart or usefull in any way.

Comment

Working...
                    X