Clear Linux With Mesa 13 Is A Strong Match For Intel Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux With Mesa 13 Is A Strong Match For Intel Linux Performance

Phoronix: Clear Linux With Mesa 13 Is A Strong Match For Intel Linux Performance

When benchmarking Intel's Clear Linux distribution earlier this year we found its Intel graphics performance to be quite good and slightly faster than other Linux distributions even when Clear was using an older version of Mesa. Now with Clear Linux having switched to Mesa 13, I decided to run some fresh Intel OpenGL benchmarks on it compared to other distributions.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora 25 with wayland is a disaster

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      Most benchmarks probably rely on X.Org, so XWayland. Obviously there's a performance gap.

Comment

The thing about Clear Linux is that it's a distro you probably don't want to actually use directly. However, it's extremely helpful as an example of how to configure Linux for optimal performance, and the other distros out there could use the information about compiler flags and other system settings to improve their own performance.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          The thing about Clear Linux is that it's a distro you probably don't want to actually use directly. However, it's extremely helpful as an example of how to configure Linux for optimal performance, and the other distros out there could use the information about compiler flags and other system settings to improve their own performance.
          So, what is interesting there:

Clear Linux 11920: --build=x86_64-generic-linux --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multiarch --disable-vtable-verify --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-bootstrap --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-gnu-indirect-function --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,go --enable-ld=default --enable-libmpx --enable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-lto --enable-multilib --enable-plugin --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --exec-prefix=/usr --includedir=/usr/include --target=x86_64-generic-linux --with-arch=westmere --with-glibc-version=2.19 --with-gnu-ld --with-isl --with-ppl=yes --with-tune=haswell
          lto maybe and tunning westmere/haswell

Also all other use "intel_pstate powersave" while Clear Linux is with "acpi-cpufreq performance".

In in the end of the day that tuning must show some better CPU perfromance diff, while where apps are GPU bound of course nothing

Comment

I wonder how much longer mainstream-distributions will ignore the really impressive optimization techniques modern compilers offer.
            For quite some time now GCC offers top-notch features such as profile-guided-optimization and link-time-optimizations, yet all distributions do is to compile everything with -O2, because when they tried -O3 ten years ago it didn't result in noticeable gains.

Mozilla is a great example. The official Firefox binary built with PGO is 10-20% faster compared to the default -Os/-O2 distributions ship, despite Mozilla builds with a years old GCC-4.8, while distributions use the lastest GCC-6. 10-20% almost for free, yet that potential is neglected.

Comment

Interesting that Fedora 25 with Wayland is running decently on applications bound to X display server (XWalyland) with 2-5 fps difference compared to Xorg version , evens on GpuTest and has the highest average framerate on OpenArena test.

Comment

The bump in performance from Ubuntu to Clear is impressive. I'm on Ubuntu with an AMD A10-7890K that can't run Clear. Would I see a similar bump if I changed to Gentoo? Or does Clear's optimizations go beyond what Gentoo can offer?

Comment

Donald Trump, is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                    I wonder how much longer mainstream-distributions will ignore the really impressive optimization techniques modern compilers offer.
                    For quite some time now GCC offers top-notch features such as profile-guided-optimization and link-time-optimizations, yet all distributions do is to compile everything with -O2, because when they tried -O3 ten years ago it didn't result in noticeable gains.

Mozilla is a great example. The official Firefox binary built with PGO is 10-20% faster compared to the default -Os/-O2 distributions ship, despite Mozilla builds with a years old GCC-4.8, while distributions use the lastest GCC-6. 10-20% almost for free, yet that potential is neglected.
                    I don't know about 03, last time I tried it, a few months ago, I had trouble with ffmpeg while reencoding some video, which disappeared once rebuilt with 02. I do compile everything possible with LTO, but haven't tried PGO/FDO yet as that seems a bit more difficult to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X