Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 26 Looks At Updating Its CFLAGS / CXXFLAGS

Phoronix: Fedora 26 Looks At Updating Its CFLAGS / CXXFLAGS

The latest change request coming in for Fedora 26 is to update the default C/C++ compiler flags...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What does Clear Linux use as default?

Comment

Already changed in rawhide last week; I know because it broke one of my packages on Friday, which I fixed over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        Already changed in rawhide last week; I know because it broke one of my packages on Friday, which I fixed over the weekend.
        Both `-Wimplicit-int` and `-Wimplicit-function-declaration` are part of `-Wall`, are you building without it? You should consider turning it on.

Comment

Originally posted by janisozaur View Post
          Both `-Wimplicit-int` and `-Wimplicit-function-declaration` are part of `-Wall`
          but Werror=implicit-int and Werror=implicit-function-declaration are only parts of -Werror

Comment

Originally posted by janisozaur View Post

Both `-Wimplicit-int` and `-Wimplicit-function-declaration` are part of `-Wall`, are you building without it? You should consider turning it on.
            -Wimplicit-function-declaration will not cause a build error by itself, only a warning. Fedora enabled -Werror=implicit-int and -Werror=implicit-function-declaration, so these warnings are now treated as errors.

EDIT: If you're asking why the warning wasn't fixed before, the truthful answer is that I didn't realize they were there.

Comment

I am curious. What package is this?

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I am curious. What package is this?
                Don't worry, it's nothing remotely critical.
                pcsxr, I just migrated it over from RPMFusion a week and a half ago (currently in fedora updates testing).
                I've been trying to work with upstream to fix the colossal amount of compile time warnings it produces, so it's not a surprise that it happened to break when Werror flags were enabled.

Comment

-Wimplicit-function-declaration will not cause a build error by itself, only a warning. Fedora enabled -Werror=implicit-int and -Werror=implicit-function-declaration, so these warnings are now treated as errors.

EDIT: If you're asking why the warning wasn't fixed before, the truthful answer is that I didn't realize they were there.
                  `-Werror=<x>` is only a harder version of the `-W<x>`. I meant you were compiling without `-Wall` and had errors in your code, which only surfaced when a distro increased their errors to a 20-year old standards. You should seriously consider getting your code compiling with `-Wall` without any warnings raised. `-Werror` is just means to that end.

Comment

There is one problem with this, and that is that MANY packages has malformed SPEC-files, so they do not pick up the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS from anywhere at all. And the error reports - even with patches - tends to just be left alone and closed by their auto-close-system when the old release gets out of date.

Comment

Working...
                    X