Linux Distributions vs. BSDs With netperf & iperf3 Network Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Distributions vs. BSDs With netperf & iperf3 Network Performance

Phoronix: Linux Distributions vs. BSDs With netperf & iperf3 Network Performance

With now having netperf in the Phoronix Test Suite as well as iperf3 for the latest open-source benchmarks in our automated cross-platform benchmarking framework, I couldn't help but to run some networking benchmarks on a system when trying out a few different Linux distributions and BSDs to see how the performance compares. The operating systems ran with these networking benchmarks included Debian 8.6, Ubuntu 16.10, Clear Linux 12020, CentOS 7, and Fedora 25. The BSDs tested for this comparison were FreeBSD 11.0 and DragonFlyBSD 4.6.1.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian finishing behind bloated Ubuntu in some tests... Tsk, tsk...

Comment

Some kind of analysis why there are differences in some tests would be interesting, especially the different Linux distros should behave mostly the same (I don't think compiler optimizations should make a big difference here).
      My assumption is that the different distros use different default values for some network related settings (like the stuff under /proc/sys/net/, maybe also network interface specific settings like transmit queue lengths or whatever). Things like power management might also influence the results.
      Last edited by DanielG; 07 December 2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

linux need to catch up!

Comment

and this explains why netflix prefered freebsd instead of linux!

Comment

It reminds me of a news here in Phoronix about a effort to improve Linux's TCP stack to be as good as or better than FreeBSD.

Comment

adding pfsense to the test would be appreciated
              Rob
              email: [email protected]

Comment

rofl... and I sorta remember pal666, Pawlerson, SystemCrasher and such preaching some months a go in other BSD-related threads how ***BSD networking stack is way inferior to one of Linux in every conceivable way...

Comment

Wow, Linux sucks! I mean it literally sucks, vs. FreeBSD which flies in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    Wow, Linux sucks! I mean it literally sucks, vs. FreeBSD which flies in comparison.
                    For network related things that's true. So true.

Comment

Working...
                    X