Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon User LTS Edition Released, Powered By Plasma 5.8

Phoronix: KDE Neon User LTS Edition Released, Powered By Plasma 5.8

Jonathan Riddell has announced the KDE Neon User LTS Edition availability. Rather than tracking the bleeding-edge KDE developments as KDE Neon traditionally does, the User LTS Edition tracks Plasma 5.8 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since KDE neon updated to Plasma 5.8, this has been my best experience I've ever had on Linux for years...
    I'll still go further with Plasma 5.9, I don't think that the stability will degrade.

Comment

Although i think KDE is superior both in the aspect and technical department, i've never found a distro that 'just works' with KDE. There was always some little thing/bug that bothered me.
      Will give this a try.

Comment

This could easily be a PPA or even a snap...... a whole branded distribution seems silly just for one DE.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          This could easily be a PPA or even a snap...... a whole branded distribution seems silly just for one DE.
          There is a PPA for it. There are examples on the 'net of how to convert a stock Kubuntu LTS install to KDE Neon. So yes, if you look at it that way, there's a PPA for that.

Comment

The point of Neon is to have the latest KDE. How is this different from Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Ir wasn't meant to be a distro (look up the initial project announcements if you can), it just ended this way. I guess since it needs Plasma+KDE Frameworks+Qt+apps ported to KDE frameworks, it ends up too much for a distro to pull from a PPA. It could be done (it's software after all), but it's probably a question of manpower and politics/policies, at least for time being. I think there was a discussion at some point about using the existing PPA on Kubuntu and the problem was that, while it should work ok, there's no way for Neon maintainers to guarantee anything when you add other PPAs to the mix. But don't quote me on that.

That said, now there's whole User LTS release, if they decided to move the regular User edition to Kubuntu 16.10 and not follow Kubuntu LTS , my Christmas donation would go their way in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                The point of Neon is to have the latest KDE. How is this different from Kubuntu?
                Current Neon User edition is Kubuntu 16.05+Plasma 5.8. Current Kubuntu is 16.10+Plasma 5.7. It looks Kubuntu is so short on resources, between two releases we barely get 3-4 announcements in the project's news section.

Comment

In response to all the replies, I didn't know there was a PPA. I have been meaning to try the KDE 5 so I'm doing that this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                    The politics aspect is significant as Ubuntu booted the project lead of Kubuntu and he moved on to this project. The reasons/justifications are highly political and I don't think anyone ever really got the full story.

Also they are putting significant work into Wayland, and I've yet to see a Ubuntu spin with a solid Wayland implementation. I'm holding out hope Mir collapses and just becomes a Wayland compositor in the end because that would solve a lot of problems for the greater community.

Comment

Working...
                    X