Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 2.0-rc1 Arrives, Prepares For Wine 2.0

Phoronix: Wine 2.0-rc1 Arrives, Prepares For Wine 2.0

The first release candidate for Wine 2.0 is now available and marks the start of the code freeze ahead of this next stable Wine release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is yet another "stable" Wine release which has no practical value in it whatsoever. I don't understand why Alexander is still bothered with it.

No one uses it, it's not really "stable" because Wine's nature doesn't even imply any form of stableness and usually newer Wine releases have more fixes than regressions, so any later Wine release is actually more "stable" than the one before it.

Comment

Maybe they could celebrate 2.0 by merging in staging and gallium. I read that that will never happen because CrossOver is appealing to Mac users as wine is basically a business

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        This is yet another "stable" Wine release which has no practical value in it whatsoever. I don't understand why Alexander is still bothered with it.

No one uses it, it's not really "stable" because Wine's nature doesn't even imply any form of stableness and usually newer Wine releases have more fixes than regressions, so any later Wine release is actually more "stable" than the one before it.
        I don't agree with you, a stable release is a good thing they only correct bug and we always know some app will always work with this release and don't have some regression and stop working when upgrades to new wine dev

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I don't agree with you, a stable release is a good thing they only correct bug and we always know some app will always work with this release and don't have some regression and stop working when upgrades to new wine dev
          No one on Wine's dev team has ever said or guaranteed that. It's purely your imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Maybe they could celebrate 2.0 by merging in staging and gallium. I read that that will never happen because CrossOver is appealing to Mac users as wine is basically a business
            Gallium is a half measure meant only for Linux/D3D9c. Wine needs a complete multiplatform solution which means either D3D->OpenGL or D3D->Vulkan.

Comment

The big elusive D3D11, so far from sight, most games I touch now have no D3D9 support so it makes it hard to use Linux for gaming still. Plus my SLI rig doesn't work right under Linux due to broken nvidia drivers (and almost no game support).

Once I get myself a rx490 things will be a little better hopefully, however having to flick in between mesa and pro amd drivers depending on the title is going to be a pain in the butt!

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                No one on Wine's dev team has ever said or guaranteed that. It's purely your imagination.
                It's not imagination, it's a fact!
                Unless you're implying that they lie on their changes log, in which case you're also implying that they don't implement new features either... which makes no sense whatsoever...

Comment

theriddick what game would you want to play that would require switching between pro and mesa?
                  I've found a single RX 480 on MESA-git to be sufficient to push a good framerate at 1080p

birdie Yeah that's sortof what makes me sad, the Gallium code benefits Linux users in the present and can't be merged beause it would serve no purpose on Mac where 95% of their customers are.

I wonder if anyone will ever fork WINE purely for Linux. I wouldn't mind seeing the D3D > OGL or Vulkan however I can't imagine it'll happen anytime soon (meaning 12 months).

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    theriddick what game would you want to play that would require switching between pro and mesa?
                    There is XCOM2, Mordor, and DeusEx to start with. Oh and I don't think WarThunder works that great under Mesa also...

Comment

Working...
                    X