Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Music Is Being Revived

Phoronix: GNOME Music Is Being Revived

Thanks in part to last month's GNOME Core Apps Hackfest in Berlin, the GNOME Music application is being revived...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I sincerely hope they do something good. A decent music player is sadly missing from the Linux desktop. When you do a search for Linux music players, you get a bunch of 'Top Linux Music Players' articles, singing the praises of this and that. But I've never found a good one.

There's not a single program that comes close to MediaMonkey (which is what I use) or Foobar2000 (which I'm pretty sure is good but never bothered to work out how to use). In terms of both interface and features I've always found Linux music players lacking.

Comment

I use Plex instead of GNOME Music for streaming music in my network.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I sincerely hope they do something good. A decent music player is sadly missing from the Linux desktop. When you do a search for Linux music players, you get a bunch of 'Top Linux Music Players' articles, singing the praises of this and that. But I've never found a good one.

There's not a single program that comes close to MediaMonkey (which is what I use) or Foobar2000 (which I'm pretty sure is good but never bothered to work out how to use). In terms of both interface and features I've always found Linux music players lacking.
        If you prefer foobar2000's interface, deadbeef is a decent choice for Linux.

Comment

I sincerely hope they do something good. A decent music player is sadly missing from the Linux desktop.
          I wish I knew what your idea of "good music player" meant.

There's Lollypop

Aucadious

Elementary Noise

Tomahawk

Rhythmbox w/ Alt Toolbar

For me I haven't figured out which one I like best so I use Lollypop for work, Rhythmbox for personal use has done well for 2 years, Banshee is abandoned and can't resize to half of 1080p which is dumb, Gnome Music has been a really bumpy road and never worked until recently, Tomahawk is neat and seems good for social music, Noise is functional and traditional and gets the job done.

And on top of it there's xmms2 or cmus if you prefer to have your music player run via your terminal multiplexer or tiling window manager.

A> I would prefer to use a Music App made by Gnome but their App curently is shit at scanning ~/Music, there's no way to manually ask the App to scan for new Music and the Tabbed Layout never felt right. (Hell I'm not even sure where Gnome Music library is located I can't reset the app because I think it ties into Zietigist and has no database file to delete to reset it -- I really don't want to reset Zietigist Database)

B. One other major Feature Issue with Gnome Music is the ability to add Music Collection Folders manually - like maybe I have music in ~/Music as well as ~/Music/Business/Business A/Music

C. I wish Gnome Music had a "Welcome" screen that was a hybrid of "Albums", "Artists", "Songs", "Playlists"

D. I dunno if it makes any sense at all to start out on "Albums" either - I usually look for Music by Artist first and Song second or just throw on a playlist or manually search by song or artist. I next to never search by Album.

But I guess the tabs are ordered Alphabetically

E. It may sound weird but I motion for a number based rating system. 1-5 star is old fashioned, at least if I could number songs between 1 Star and 100 Star I could seperate good and mediocre music more easily with a several thousand song library.

F. Why hasn't the tags been introduced to organize Music by user created tags instead of Playlists? Then the tag would be written to the file and Player Agnostic.
          Last edited by ElectricPrism; 11 December 2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I wish I knew what your idea of "good music player" meant...
            Well it isn't any of the ones you showed by the looks of it. I like to be able to see my music in 'list' mode, with plenty on the screen. On MediaMonkey, on a 1080p screen, I've just checked and I can see 48 songs on a maximised window. I don't want there to be loads of padding around the text reducing the amount of songs I can see. And I want an easily-configurable 'Now Playing' list on one side.

Also I want really good tagging and auto tagging support.

And lastly I want good sync support with auto-conversion.

MediaMonkey gives me all of these things (the last one only came with MediaMonkey Gold which I had to pay for, but I like the product so much I didn't begrudge them making some money). I've tried plenty of music players on Linux, none of them have cut the mustard.

Comment

Well it isn't any of the ones you showed by the looks of it. I like to be able to see my music in 'list' mode, with plenty on the screen. On MediaMonkey, on a 1080p screen, I've just checked and I can see 48 songs on a maximised window. I don't want there to be loads of padding around the text reducing the amount of songs I can see. And I want an easily-configurable 'Now Playing' list on one side.

Also I want really good tagging and auto tagging support.

And lastly I want good sync support with auto-conversion.

MediaMonkey gives me all of these things (the last one only came with MediaMonkey Gold which I had to pay for, but I like the product so much I didn't begrudge them making some money). I've tried plenty of music players on Linux, none of them have cut the mustard.
              You probably already tested it, but Clementine player is a great music player, handles sync + transcoding and has a great mobile app!
              Just not sure about the padding stuff. It's more an Amarok philosophy than an 'iTunes-style' one for displaying your library.

Comment

Well it isn't any of the ones you showed by the looks of it.
                Maybe I'm missing something, because Elementary Noise looks exactly like MediaMonkey.

Comment

I have zero confidence that any app presented as the 'Gnome' music app will ever be any good or go anywhere. They just keep changing their minds. Rhythmbox. Banshee. Gnome Music. It's not that difficult. There are files. You can play them. Fine, download some album art if you must. Why so many abandoned apps?

Comment

iv'e always used Audacious, its small an can use Winamp Skins , i dont like Big Bulky players

why isnt Lollypop in Fedora Main Repo's ?
                    Last edited by Anvil; 11 December 2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X