Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Block Changes En Route To Linux 4.10

Phoronix: Many Block Changes En Route To Linux 4.10

Jens Axboe has been quick to submit the block changes for the Linux 4.10 kernel and there is a wide range of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Support for automatic throttling of writeback queues on the block side.

If merged, this will finally be the game changer for Linux on the Desktop/Laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

If merged, this will finally be the game changer for Linux on the Desktop/Laptop.
      Does that fix the system getting unresponsive on high IO (uncompressing a file, writing a large file, copying large amount of data, etc) bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Does that fix the system getting unresponsive on high IO (uncompressing a file, writing a large file, copying large amount of data, etc) bug?
        It would be too good and too easy to be true. I'm pretty sure one also needs to change the CPU/IO schedulers and possibly other things in the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It would be too good and too easy to be true. I'm pretty sure one also needs to change the CPU/IO schedulers and possibly other things in the kernel.
          I would be happy if it was fixed. But then again, Windows is even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

as long as it is a step in the right direction, the new cpu scheduler does take feadback from other parts of the kernel, so I am sure we can have it all in a future kernel release

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Yes. The improvements are very noticeable. From what I've tested so far, it does not have any dependence on the CPU scheduler. Throttling was the most viable option (Earlier, I've used cgroups to limit the IO weight, which helped a lot to not let the system thrash), and Jens Axboe's (BLK Maintainer) patches are really impressive in that regard.

Comment

If anyone is interested in early testing, you can access the changes at: http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-bloc...b-buf-throttle and provide feedback directly to the author.

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

I wanted to test kernel 4.10 because of the automatic throttling of writeback queues on the block side. In fact with 4.8.13 every time I copy big files to my usb stick the system becomes unresponsive.
                  Unfortunately with 4.10 when I try to write the Arch image to an usb stick using "sudo dd if=archlinux-2016.12.01-dual.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1 status=progress" it instantly finishes (like when you write to the cache but you still have to sync). It wrote something to the stick, but the image doesn't boot. Manually syncing does not help. Everything works flawlessly with kernel 4.8.

This is the bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191391
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I wanted to test kernel 4.10 because of the automatic throttling of writeback queues on the block side. In fact with 4.8.13 every time I copy big files to my usb stick the system becomes unresponsive.
                    Unfortunately with 4.10 when I try to write the Arch image to an usb stick using "sudo dd if=archlinux-2016.12.01-dual.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1 status=progress" it instantly finishes (like when you write to the cache but you still have to sync). It wrote something to the stick, but the image doesn't boot. Manually syncing does not help. Everything works flawlessly with kernel 4.8.

This is the bug report: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191391
                    I'm glad that Jens has already replied to your bug. But I wouldn't bother filing a bug report for an RC1 kernel. Mailing Lists are more responsive.

That aside, you don't really need to wait for 4.10 to go GA. Jens has been kind enough to have branches for 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8. Maybe you should ask him for 4.9 branch too. Or else, just merge the wb-buf-throttle branch, which is his master for this patchset, which applies clean on the current 4.9 GA kernel.

rrs@learner:~/rrs-home/Community/linux-upstream_GIT (wb-49)$ git remote show axboe
                    * remote axboe
                    Fetch URL: git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block.git
                    Push URL: git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block.git

Comment

Working...
                    X