F2FS Improvements For Linux 4.10: Performance Tuning, Multi-Device, ZBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Improvements For Linux 4.10: Performance Tuning, Multi-Device, ZBC

Phoronix: F2FS Improvements For Linux 4.10: Performance Tuning, Multi-Device, ZBC

The F2FS file-system, the Flash-Friendly File-System, has some notable feature improvements to mention with the published pull request targeting Linux 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is F2FS generally considered to be stable? Most information I can find seems to be from a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by csnate View Post
      Is F2FS generally considered to be stable? Most information I can find seems to be from a year ago.
      FWIW, F2FS has been very stable for me especially in the past year+
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by csnate View Post
        It's not heavily used by normal linux boxes. It is however heavily used by some android phones. I believe the current samsung and motorola(lenovo) phones use it in their production phones. Presumably they wouldn't do that unless they were pretty confident about f2fs.

Comment

I use it quite a lot. Never had any trouble with it save for some unicode filename corruption when I first tried it but that's long gone now. I fired up the Debian Stretch installer last week in the hope that it would offer F2FS but alas, still no sign of it. I suppose there's still hope, they don't tend to work on the installer till nearer the release date?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I fired up the Debian Stretch installer last week in the hope that it would offer F2FS but alas, still no sign of it. I suppose there's still hope, they don't tend to work on the installer till nearer the release date?
            They are waiting for GRUB2 to add support, probably. Patches for that are already in the mailing list since August, but the GRUB maintainer wants to merge them after GRUB2's stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              They are waiting for GRUB2 to add support, probably. Patches for that are already in the mailing list since August, but the GRUB maintainer wants to merge them after GRUB2's stable release.
              Good point. Under Jessie, I only use F2FS for / and not /boot.

Comment

I hope this makes into GRUB soon

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Sounds like Grub needs a new maintainer. This is a critical feature that needs to be supported. There should be no impact to other filesystem support in grub.

Comment

Working...
                  X