Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 7.00 Appears To Have Some OpenGL Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Dota 2 7.00 Appears To Have Some OpenGL Performance Improvements

When Dota 2 7.00 changes were revealed on Sunday, the in-game/game-play changes were what was talked about with no real references to any "under the hood" changes for this Valve Source 2 Engine game. Thus when the 7.00 update came down the pipe today, I ran some before/after benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this vulkan performance regression is purely limited to radv?

Comment

So, something goes up and something goes down And something is what? Probably some new settings.

It does not need to be a regression, if that _something_ is enabled with VK and disabled on GL
      Last edited by dungeon; 13 December 2016, 12:00 AM.

Comment

The likely cause for this improvement is Valve stopping using Autodesk Scaleform for the in-game UI, and moving to their own Panorama toolkit. But possibly some other optimizations.

Comment

Could the performance changes be as a result of the updated models/environment, rather than engine stuff?

Would be interesting to see the tests on the better vulkan drivers. Such as AMDGPU PRO or NVidia proprietary.

Also the dota2 vulkan has been an opt-in beta for so long.... What is Valve doing and what changes are currently going on under the hood? Would be interesting to hear.

Comment

With my Nvidia (750ti) the FPS go down around 20% with OpenGL and Vulkan. UI and ingame graphics do seem more refined though, so this is ok I guess.

Comment

There are a lot of things at play: smaller HUD, so more to render, higher CPU usage from the new tree animations, Panorama seems to be stuttering a little while playing, on some configurations (while displaying chat etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Also the dota2 vulkan has been an opt-in beta for so long.... What is Valve doing and what changes are currently going on under the hood? Would be interesting to hear.
                It's no longer an opt-in beta. It's an opt-in stable DLC now.

Comment

With "-vulkan" set as a launch option the game now freezes. It used to work before (480 + amdgpu + mesa).

Comment

Working...
                  X