Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Rolls Out "Android Things" For IoT Smart Devices

Phoronix: Google Rolls Out "Android Things" For IoT Smart Devices

Google today is rolling out their first developer preview of Android Things, an Android spin for the Internet of Things / smart devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. Would the community be able to add support for Weave in Home Assistant?
    Open-source home automation platform running on Python 3. Track and control all devices at home and automate control. Installation in less than a m...

Comment

To me "Android Things" always will be these really crappy devices that come from China but very cheap...

No thanks, I don't want my home to be owned by you too. F$ks you, with love

Comment

Do you think Weave uses Graybus?

Comment

From Google's announcement:

Now any Android developer can quickly build a smart device using Android APIs and Google services, while staying highly secure with updates direct from Google.
          How will Google force manufactures to allow updates to come directly from Google? Is "Android Things" being released under a license that differs from the license for Android on phones?

Comment

Most Android phones only get one update, maybe two. It takes months after a new update is released before an update is available, and that is if you're lucky enough to get an update at all.

So the Android space is heavily fragmented with different, old, outdated versions of Android.
            Which you can see here: https://developer.android.com/about/....html#Platform

Are these IoT devices going to run old, outdated versions of Android that are vulnerable and exploited?
            Next Mirao IoT botnet will be Android-based?
            Are billions of Android devices going to wreak havoc on the Internet with extensive DDoS attacks?
            Last edited by uid313; 14 December 2016, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post
              Is "Android Things" being released under a license that differs from the license for Android on phones?
              android on phones comes with proprietary license, so google can force what it wants

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Are these IoT devices going to run old, outdated versions of Android that are vulnerable and exploited?
                Next Mirao IoT botnet will be Android-based?
                According to the announcement, the devices will get "updates direct from Google." But I too am curious how Google will accomplish this. In particular, I'm wondering what are the terms of the "Android Things" license.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                android on phones comes with proprietary license, so google can force what it wants
                Yes, Google can change the conditions in their license that allows use of their proprietary services on Android phones. And many have speculated that Google will eventually do so in an effort to overcome the fragmentation issue pointed out by uid313.

But Google's current license for phones (or at least non-Nexus phones) doesn't force manufactures to allow certain updates (such as kernel patches, etc) to come directly from Google. And so far, to the best of my knowledge, Google hasn't officially announced any intention to change its phone license in such a way that would force manufactures to allow all updates to come directly from Google.

So what I'm asking is whether anyone here has actually compared the licenses (Phones vs Things) to see if they differ, and if so how. That is, I want to know the terms of the "Android Things" license. (Admittedly, the terms for the "Android Things" license probably aren't even finalized, let alone released to the public, so this information, if available, would probably been leaked.)

My thinking is that, if the "Android Things" license does, indeed, force manufactures to allow all updates to come directly from Google, that license may foreshadow the future of Google's license on Android phones.

Comment

Working...
                X