Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.23.3 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.23.3 Released

The last GNOME 3.24 development release of 2016 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How come only SpiderMonkey v 31? That's old allready, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
      How come only SpiderMonkey v 31? That's old allready, isn't it?
      They need to do it incrementally. They upgraded this release from spidermonkey version 24 to version 31. Then in the future, they will upgrade to 38 then 45, etc...

Comment

I'd like to highlight a nice little fix in nautilus: "Make icons on desktop work on Wayland sessions"

Previously wayland users did not have desktop icons (with stock GNOME) but they work now (with the help of xwayland). While this is not an ideal solution, users will probably not notice any drawbacks for now.

Comment

still no shell restart option on wayland? anyone got any ideas why that feature is not supported?

Comment

I am still surprised that nowadays Gnome is still shipping -uninstall-as-soon-as-install-gnome software, like chat apps and email client. Does really anyone still uses this? I've got everything on a web browser these days

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
              still no shell restart option on wayland? anyone got any ideas why that feature is not supported?
              It's not that easy. When you're using the Wayland session, basically Gnome Shell is the compositor / window manager. So restarting it is like you're actually restarting the whole X server, together with all the windows you have open. Might be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                I am still surprised that nowadays Gnome is still shipping -uninstall-as-soon-as-install-gnome software, like chat apps and email client. Does really anyone still uses this? I've got everything on a web browser these days
                Yes? Plenty of people prefer desktop software over browser clients

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                  Plenty still do. It is easier to stick to a habit I've had for over 15 years than switch to a new one. I've used evolution since its early days on linux and outlook express before that in the 90s on windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X