Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Updates Its Legacy Drivers For X.Org Server 1.19 Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Updates Its Legacy Drivers For X.Org Server 1.19 Support

NVIDIA has rolled out updated binary Linux drivers for their pre-Fermi legacy drivers for supporting X.Org Server 1.19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hahahahaha, what wonderful timing! I literally just finished replacing my GT210 card with a GT650 one precisely because of broken support for xorg 1.19 *and* incompatibility with kernel 4.9 in the 340 legacy driver. Well, better late than never.

Comment

Originally posted by chepati View Post
      hahahahaha, what wonderful timing! I literally just finished replacing my GT210 card with a GT650 one precisely because of broken support for xorg 1.19 *and* incompatibility with kernel 4.9 in the 340 legacy driver. Well, better late than never.
      Wth, Xorg 1.19 is 3 weeks old and kernel 4.9 is 3 days old. How is that "late" and when did you have time to give up waiting?

NB While Nvidia has an excellent track of supporting newer Xorg and kernels, official support always lands after the official release, not during beta/RC cycle.

Comment

Not even Arch managed to switch to 1.19 still.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Wth, Xorg 1.19 is 3 weeks old and kernel 4.9 is 3 days old. How is that "late" and when did you have time to give up waiting?

NB While Nvidia has an excellent track of supporting newer Xorg and kernels, official support always lands after the official release, not during beta/RC cycle.

I am running LFS (linux from scratch) and my build system tracks all the packages I build and the minute a new package is released I compile and test it. That's how I got 4.9 running already. You seem to forget that while x.org 1.19 was released a few weeks ago, 1.18.9x was available for a few months. Ditto with kernel 4.9-rcN. It's not like the X.org and kernel devs surprised us all of a sudden. I'm sure NVIDIA's developers are tracking x.org and the kernel's git workflow and knew well in advance all the changes that were coming up. But more to the point, the 340 legacy driver has been incompatible with at least 4.7 and 4.8 kernels. People had to resort to unofficial patches in order to get a new kernel working with the legacy driver. I had basically given up on the legacy driver being ever updated (last one was released 4 months ago and in this timeframe we've had at least 4 kernel revisions). So, my criticism stands. Not for nothing did Linus famously flip Nvidia off.

Comment

I am running LFS (linux from scratch) and my build system tracks all the packages I build and the minute a new package is released I compile and test it. That's how I got 4.9 running already. You seem to forget that while x.org 1.19 was released a few weeks ago, 1.18.9x was available for a few months. Ditto with kernel 4.9-rcN. It's not like the X.org and kernel devs surprised us all of a sudden. I'm sure NVIDIA's developers are tracking x.org and the kernel's git workflow and knew well in advance all the changes that were coming up. But more to the point, the 340 legacy driver has been incompatible with at least 4.7 and 4.8 kernels. People had to resort to unofficial patches in order to get a new kernel working with the legacy driver. I had basically given up on the legacy driver being ever updated (last one was released 4 months ago and in this timeframe we've had at least 4 kernel revisions). So, my criticism stands. Not for nothing did Linus famously flip Nvidia off.
            It's not that Nvidia cannot track pre-release branches, it's just that pre-release there's much API/ABI breakage...
            All in all, good for you.

Comment

The support for current nvidia cards is working mostly well, no doubt. But when cards are getting legacy status, its not so much better than amd. I often ran into trouble getting nvidia legacy drivers compiled for newer kernels, googling for patches.

In the current situation we've got: While AMD used to be worse on legacy cards, these days its nvidia i can't stand. I loose hours on either explaining why colleagues should not press the Update Buttons or fiddling around with patching nvidia dkms packages *sigh*

I'm eagerly awaiting AMDs 2017 offers for APUs, there are some machines like my own HTPCs and some office machines in our company waiting for an upgrade.

Comment

I am running LFS (linux from scratch) and my build system tracks all the packages I build and the minute a new package is released I compile and test it.
                ^
                |
                One of the select few people on the planet that can act smug with even the smuggest Gentoo users.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Not even Arch managed to switch to 1.19 still.
                  The Nvidia drivers are the reason why it took them so long .... always take a look in here: https://www.archlinux.org/todo/ -> https://www.archlinux.org/todo/xorg-server-119-rebuild/

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    I'm eagerly awaiting AMDs 2017 offers for APUs, there are some machines like my own HTPCs and some office machines in our company waiting for an upgrade.
                    Won't we need to wait for the DAL patches to get accepted for HTPC usage?

Comment

Working...
                    X