Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egosoft Is Developing A New X Universe Game Using Vulkan

Phoronix: Egosoft Is Developing A New X Universe Game Using Vulkan

Egosoft, the studio behind the X Universe game franchise with their titles long being Linux friendly going back many years, is developing a new title and will feature a Vulkan renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

First reaction: WOW, they really dare to use the name Rebirth again? But they probably don't care very much. They've developed VR support as next logical step in the evolution of their engine anyway. Now they sell their testing platform as a full price title. Not stupid - Not smart.

Comment

I remember trying X2 (I think) and feeling completely overwhelmed. I can only imagine subsequent titles offer even larger, most complex worlds...

Comment

I wish game makers would have standards on game design. Yet it seems anything can get sold as a game.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I remember trying X2 (I think) and feeling completely overwhelmed. I can only imagine subsequent titles offer even larger, most complex worlds...
          Same, X³ was still good, though, but I didn't really have the time to play much. Also, iirc the story took a back seat in this game.
          Rebirth was said to be really bad, I never tried it, though.

But nice to hear those guys are still around and go for Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Yeah, on the same engine. Newer titles had major performance issues because of crappy or even total lack of multicore usage.
            Also the level of brokenness of their games at release was a game in the game. First year after release the game was "bug hunting and fixing". Kinda like Bethesda's.

I personally dropped the ball at X3 TC as a compelling story with voice acting and 3D puppets of X2 and X3 to some extent was replaced with pizza-boy missions given by text messages.

Oh, and because the kha'ak race getting horrendously nerfed for no real reason while even more stuff was added without any kind of regard to in-game balance or anything else (missile frigates for example were a I-Win button).
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 December 2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Egosoft is the only developer that allowed the key of the LGP version to activate their own port on Steam. That alone makes me interested in their new stuff.

Comment

Well guys, i own X Rebirth HoL and have to say i love it and if you add CWIR you can almost forget X3 and runs great on RadeonSI(i don't use windows so don't ask me if FPS is equal). Sure the first release was a major disaster but unlike other studios, this guys went full all hands on deck and really focused in fixing it and provide regular updates and listen to feedback.

I really like this company, even tho they messed up the release and i got the hype for the new rebirth (EgoSoft come and take ma' money)

Comment

I wish the games were playable on non-qwerty keyboards.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    Sure the first release was a major disaster but unlike other studios, this guys went full all hands on deck and really focused in fixing it and provide regular updates and listen to feedback.
                    Yeah, that's the same they did from X2 onwards. Released a broken mess, fixed in a year or so after the release.

Comment

Working...
                    X