Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI CEC Promoted Out Of Staging For Linux 4.10

Phoronix: HDMI CEC Promoted Out Of Staging For Linux 4.10

The media updates for the Linux 4.10 kernel merge window includes promoting a lot of code from staging into the mainline area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since Linux 4.5 my cx23885-card (a TerraTec Cinergy T PCIe Dual) doesn't work any more for lirc. The problem seems to be that the protocol handlers are not being initialized.

I hope they fixed it/will fix it, because Debian ignores me.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
      Since Linux 4.5 my cx23885-card (a TerraTec Cinergy T PCIe Dual) doesn't work any more for lirc. The problem seems to be that the protocol handlers are not being initialized.

I hope they fixed it/will fix it, because Debian ignores me.
      General rule of thumb, report bugs the more upstream as possible.

In your case, you should try with another distro too to make sure it isn't a Debian-only issue, and if there is the same problem you can go in bugtracker or mailing list of Linux TV https://www.linuxtv.org/ as they are the ones writing the drivers for TV cards on Linux.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 December 2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Is anything using this yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Is anything using this yet?
          HDMI-CEC? Neah, it's only used in all consumer electronics built during the past 5 years or so. Other than that, it hasn't seen much adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            HDMI-CEC? Neah, it's only used in all consumer electronics built during the past 5 years or so. Other than that, it hasn't seen much adoption.
            Expanding a bit: It usually has a different name to trick people into thinking it works only with products of $same_brand, but usually works for all.

I'm half sure that Sony also managed to make it work only for other Sony products.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 December 2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Expanding a bit: It usually has a different name to trick people into thinking it works only with products of $same_brand, but usually works for all.

I'm half sure that Sony also managed to make it work only for other Sony products.
              Nice catch. Look at that list, Hitachi should be flogged.

Comment

I mean in the kernel - I know most consumer devices have it - i.e. can I control a TV or sound system plugged into my PC yet, or is this just the infrastructure with no users yet

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  I mean in the kernel - I know most consumer devices have it - i.e. can I control a TV or sound system plugged into my PC yet, or is this just the infrastructure with no users yet
                  you can't put something into kernel without opensource users

Comment

Considering that even my 10 year old TV supports HDMI-CEC, 5 years isn't enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X