CryENGINE 5.3 Switches To CMake & Builds In PhysX, But Lacks Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CryENGINE 5.3 Switches To CMake & Builds In PhysX, But Lacks Vulkan

Phoronix: CryENGINE 5.3 Switches To CMake & Builds In PhysX, But Lacks Vulkan

While rumors have recently come back up about the financial health of Crytek, at least this week they managed to deliver on their CryENGINE 5.3 release but it's coming about one month later than initially anticipated...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess it has now been ages since they were have promised Vulkan. Implementing proprietary CrapX is a hard strike against people looking forward. But hey, there are other engines like UE and CE seems to be the worst. Especially after this news.
    Last edited by oooverclocker; 16 December 2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

If I understand the article correctly, the multi-threaded renderer (with DX12 additionally) was only planned for the 5.4 release anyway. Having Vulkan without proper multi-threading doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway so devs are not missing out on much.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        If I understand the article correctly, the multi-threaded renderer (with DX12 additionally) was only planned for the 5.4 release anyway. Having Vulkan without proper multi-threading doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway so devs are not missing out on much.
        Having a complex game engine without anyone ever licensing/using it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. They're doing it still.

Comment

No Linux, no Vulkan, no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Osmodivs View Post
            No Linux, no Vulkan, no good.
            CryEngine works on Linux since April and there is even a Game on Steam using it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

CryEngine works on Linux since April and there is even a Game on Steam using it.
              Works on Linux, or builds for Linux?

Comment

February? That would be one year after Vulkan was released. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Works on Linux, or builds for Linux?
                  Works on Linux. It's called Snow. Performance is pretty good with NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Works on Linux. It's called Snow. Performance is pretty good with NVIDIA.
                    Snow is a game built with cryEngine. I am not sure you understood my question. My question is, does the cryEngine editor itself work on Linux?

Comment

Working...
                    X