Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD MxGPU Virtualization For The AMDGPU Driver

Phoronix: AMD MxGPU Virtualization For The AMDGPU Driver

Well this weekend is exciting for AMDGPU users and open-source AMD fans. Yesterday was the news we published about Valve looking to improve AMDGPU/RADV for their Vulkan-based VR experience while the latest is work from AMD that implements GPU virtualization support within the AMDGPU driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would this mean that instead of dedicating an entire GPU for passthrough to a VM, to play games in a Windows VM, we could pass a virtualized AMD GPU to Windows, as long as we have a Tonga/Fiji based AMD graphics card?

Or is this some business related stuff that us mortals won't get to enjoy for some time to come?

Comment

That's the stuff! Been waiting for something like this for a long time. Very cool.

Comment

I'd also be interested in an answer to Karbowiak's question.
        Can a part of spme Polaris/Vega GPU be used exlusively for a guest in a VM, thus greatly accelerating things, without taking over an entire GPU from the host (which suddenly is without GPU and is endangered to loose control to the guest entirely)?
        Yet I only had some experience with (a)qemu and it seems qemu basically uses HW accel from the host via KVM and such, but has to emulate an entire (ancient) GPU, which makes the guest appear slow then.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I'm pretty sure we are talking about this:

This feature is the greatest step since hardware assisted virtualization to keep me from the pain of booting Windows. With this, I will be able to run my Windows-only, WINE incompatible games in a VM. (Whenever rarely I want to game)

Comment

VDPAU, VA-API, XvBA, and now GVT-g, vGPU, MxGPU... why can't developers finally unite?

Comment

Originally posted by Karbowiak View Post
              Would this mean that instead of dedicating an entire GPU for passthrough to a VM, to play games in a Windows VM, we could pass a virtualized AMD GPU to Windows, as long as we have a Tonga/Fiji based AMD graphics card?

Or is this some business related stuff that us mortals won't get to enjoy for some time to come?
              Yes, with this driver you can split a AMD FirePro S7150 into at most 16 'virtual GPUs' using SRIOV. Each of these appears as a full blown GPU to the system and can be passed through to various virtual machines.

But as far as I know, it's only possible for the S7150 (and S7150 x2). So strictly a business thingie.

Comment

Originally posted by m132 View Post
                VDPAU, VA-API, XvBA, and now GVT-g, vGPU, MxGPU... why can't developers finally unite?
                In this case, AMD is using a established standard: SR-IOV. This driver just fills in the missing piece to use it.

Comment

looks like it is 1) for linux guests and 2) for firepro

Comment

Yes, that's the idea. And according to the earlier AMD press release linked in the article, AMD MxGPU technology "Exposes all graphics functionality of the GPU to applications allowing for full virtualization support for not only graphics APIs like DirectX and OpenGL but also GPU compute APIs like OpenCL." (Emphasis added.) So it would seem that Windows guests are, or will be, supported.

Also, although the original announcement only mentioned FirePro cards, I'm under the impression that this functionality will eventually find its way to some consumer cards by way of the AMDGPU driver. Or at least I hope that's the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X