Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strange Behavior Of My Radeon R9 290 Is Still There

Phoronix: The Strange Behavior Of My Radeon R9 290 Is Still There

In recent days there have been a few Phoronix readers inquiring why I am not testing with my Radeon R9 290 graphics card in all our frequent comparisons and driver benchmarks. The short story is that the regression since Linux 4.7 remains and for my Radeon R9 290 and others with select Hawaii graphics cards, there still is a performance regression. Though over Christmas I hope to finally find the time to bisect it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering the low amount of reports of the issue and AMD being unable to reproduce it, I think it might just be a faulty card, not a driver regression. Ever considered just getting another one, and seeing if the issue persists?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Considering the low amount of reports of the issue and AMD being unable to reproduce it, I think it might just be a faulty card, not a driver regression. Ever considered just getting another one, and seeing if the issue persists?
      Keep in mind it performs well on Linux 4.6 and older, other minority of R9 290/390 owners have also still have this issue outstanding, and if using AMDGPU-PRO this R9 290 does work fine. For your other question, no funds/plans to buy any other AMD hardware that isn't like new and exciting.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What about the amdgpu free stack? Hawaii still uses Radeon by default. Maybe I've just overseen it but did you test with amdgpu/radeonsi/amdgpuddx driver's path?

Comment

Perhaps let the AMD guys remote into the system to run some of their own tests and check things? They did offer doing that once before, not sure what more information they could gain by doing that (perhaps they have some specific hardware checks they can do via software?)

They should send you out a return parcel for the card so they can test it in their own labs.

Comment

Is it Ubuntu/distro related issue? Does it happens on Fedora/Antergos/Manjaro/etc?

Does the issue just appears when updating using the Padoka/Oibaf PAPA?

Comment

"and unfortunately few systems with easy access to open from all of them being rackmounted"

You didn't listen when I suggested rack mounts with rails...
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                "and unfortunately few systems with easy access to open from all of them being rackmounted"

You didn't listen when I suggested rack mounts with rails...
                It's not that I didn't listen to them, it's that it wasn't an affordable option given the number of systems and not frequently needing to access those systems.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's not that I didn't listen to them, it's that it wasn't an affordable option given the number of systems and not frequently needing to access those systems.
                  I do use rails myself, I even sold my old rack mounts in order to be able to use rails. There are affordable options, you just have to spend some time to find them.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Judging by that picture, the problem is pretty obvious and it has nothing to do with the card or the drivers: YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG!

Comment

Working...
                    X