Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Patches To Support Compute Queues

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Patches To Support Compute Queues

Bas Nieuwenhuizen has reached another big milestone in the RADV project that's the unofficial open-source Radeon Vulkan driver for Linux. As of this weekend, Bas has compute queues working with this Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any status update on convergence of AMD's closed (opening up / WIP) Vulkan driver and radv? John Bridgman said in the past that such convergence is likely to happen if radv will progress faster than their efforts to open up their closed Vulkan driver. Where are things now with that?

Comment

Compute queues just hit mainline Mesa already!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Didn't notice the typo yet?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The Talos Prunciple

Comment

Is there any place where someone can gather Information about the completeness of the vulkan drivers? I see features beeing implemented, but I have absolutely no clue if we reach 20% of functions needed to be Vulkan 1.0 compliant? I really have no level of expectation how far we are away from beeing able to say Mesa is suppoting Vulkan in a useful state.

Comment

vulkaninfo provides a summary, but I have no idea how to calculate percentage readiness from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
              Is there any place where someone can gather Information about the completeness of the vulkan drivers? I see features beeing implemented, but I have absolutely no clue if we reach 20% of functions needed to be Vulkan 1.0 compliant? I really have no level of expectation how far we are away from beeing able to say Mesa is suppoting Vulkan in a useful state.
              Vulkan has quite a lot of optional features. Feature wise, we are already there for the basic level. What remains is bugfixes and shader scratch (i.e. register spilling) support. Shader scratch support is underway, but going slowly.

That said, there are quite a lot of optional features and performance improvements to be added, and I don't think the priority of getting the actual CTS failures to 0 has that high of a priority at the moment. I fully expected games (e.g. Doom on wine) to be dependent on some of the optional features, and henceforth I don't think the current approach is to pass the conformance test suite at all costs.

To furthermore legally say that we Vulkan 1.0 compliant we probably need the appropriate Khronos membership too, something I'm not going to pay for . I guess we'll determine how we will approach that as soon as we pass the CTS.

Comment

Since Khronos don't charge Mesa for conformance certification for OpenGL, I don't think they would charge it for Vulkan. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post
                  I fully expected games (e.g. Doom on wine) to be dependent on some of the optional features, and henceforth I don't think the current approach is to pass the conformance test suite at all costs.
                  Glad you mentioned Doom on wine as something on your radar, will be interested to see how radv stacks up to pro Vulkan driver on Doom once its working correctly.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post
                    To furthermore legally say that we Vulkan 1.0 compliant we probably need the appropriate Khronos membership too, something I'm not going to pay for
                    redhat already paid for it

Comment

Working...
                    X