No announcement yet.

GNU Hurd 0.9 & Mach 1.8 Released: Adds Ethernet Multiplexer, Mach Drops ACPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Hurd 0.9 & Mach 1.8 Released: Adds Ethernet Multiplexer, Mach Drops ACPI

Phoronix: GNU Hurd 0.9 & Mach 1.8 Released: Adds Ethernet Multiplexer, Mach Drops ACPI

There is an early GNU Christmas with the release of GNU Hurd 0.9 joined by GNU Mach 1.8. Yep, another rare released update to Hurd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no 64-bit support?

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
      Still no 64-bit support?
      The HURD is the first microkernel OS that is entirely non-portable and can't run on any CPU other than 32-bit x86 ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
        Still no 64-bit support?
        Knowing GNU, it's probably because they don't have a 64-bit PC that is free enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The HURD is the first microkernel OS that is entirely non-portable and can't run on any CPU other than 32-bit x86 ;-)
          I'm assuming this was just a joke, just to make sure noone takes this as a fact: when developing software you normally keep you scope as small as possible to reach your complete feature set asap.

E.g. Simplified you could say that for videogames you develop on one os first with all its dependencies, for webapps you develop for one serverstack, for kernels you develop for one cpu architecture.

Ofcourse they mind any future wishes while doing it, but don't do the labor yet. I'm very interested in developments like hurd and fuchsia, seeing the benefits it delivers en interested how they solve the downsides of a microkernel. Could potentially save a lot of dev hours every day.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

If you have some free time and the know how, you can help

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
              I'm assuming this was just a joke, just to make sure noone takes this as a fact: when developing software you normally keep you scope as small as possible to reach your complete feature set asap.
              Are you perhaps implying that 64-bit isn't part of the "complete featureset" for a kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Are you perhaps implying that 64-bit isn't part of the "complete featureset" for a kernel?
                If you started developing it 25 years ago and had very limited manpower...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  If you started developing it 25 years ago and had very limited manpower...
                  The way I see it, if you lack manpower for a project, the objective shifts to "get more warm bodies". Failing that, the project gets shelved or it runs the risk of becoming a running joke.

But maybe it's all a conspiracy. GNU made a kernel/OS to make Linux look better, and they still work hard at it. Heroes, they are all heroes.

Comment

I really hope this project takes off.
                    It brings a very cool paradigm into kernel design.

Comment

Working...
                    X