Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Wants To Help You Cook With GNOME Recipes

Phoronix: GNOME Wants To Help You Cook With GNOME Recipes

While Matthias Clasen is usually busy working on GTK+, improving GNOME Wayland support, and other core engineering tasks, recently he's been working on a new GNOME application: GNOME Recipes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they should focus on fixing their DE first?

Comment

Would be cool if cooking temperature was meta data marked with markup, such as "Heat the oven to {{temperature|200|c}} and..." then in the software you can pick your preference for Celsius, Kelvin or Fahrenheit and the software then parses the text and outputs according to user preference.

Comment

I expect that it won't include a paella's recipe with chorizo, like Jamie Oliver did.

Comment

Thank you. I have been looking for gnome recipes. Those things are difficult to cook properly.

Comment

Am I the only one to think about the Honeywell 316? The "kitchen computer"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_316

Comment

Okay, dumb question: What are the advantages of this app compared to a web browser or a document viewer?

Comment

Good, more desktop applications are desperately needed on Linux. Any category is great, especially if it covers something we don't already have. People always want to bitch and moan that their feature isn't being worked on. What Linux needs are all the little applications that exist on Windows which are missing from the Linux experience.

Comment

I don't see the point. There is a bazillion of websites with recipes already, what is the advantage od having it as a desktop app?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    I don't see the point. There is a bazillion of websites with recipes already, what is the advantage od having it as a desktop app?
                    That concept doesn't always exist in the free or/and open source world. There is no guarantee that everything shipped with an open source license is going to be useful for you. People can code whatever they want. A "point" is not necessary at all.

The GPL license doesn't provide any "IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE". That means it doesn't necessarily have to be useful for everyone. The author probably wanted such an application so he wrote it.

Comment

Working...
                    X