Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Upstreams Chrome on iOS Source Code In Chromium

Phoronix: Google Upstreams Chrome on iOS Source Code In Chromium

Google developers today pushed a bunch of their Chrome on iOS code into the upstream Chromium Git repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought this meant they were getting the real Chrome browser, but it looks like just another webkit wrapper. It amazes me that Apple has got away with this shit for a decade now. Imagine if MS pulled this with IE back in the 90s.

Comment

Just be grateful if they didn't touch the real Chrome browser code. That's on big pile of ... , especially the Linux stuff. Mostly the google devs care about ChromeOS because that's what the management cares about.
      The Linux stuff is often broken and when they push code they tend to break it even more. Add to that the fragmentation on the Linux side and if you even dare use the system libs and not the built-in ones you're really asking for trouble.
      Oh and yes I know this because I worked on packaging Chromium for a distro ( Frugalware ) and it was a nightmare to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
        Just be grateful if they didn't touch the real Chrome browser code. That's on big pile of ... , especially the Linux stuff. Mostly the google devs care about ChromeOS because that's what the management cares about.
        The Linux stuff is often broken and when they push code they tend to break it even more. Add to that the fragmentation on the Linux side and if you even dare use the system libs and not the built-in ones you're really asking for trouble.
        Oh and yes I know this because I worked on packaging Chromium for a distro ( Frugalware ) and it was a nightmare to deal with.
        Chromium has been working fine on Gentoo since its inception, the only system libraries it doesn't use are the ones that have diverged from upstream

# Use system-provided libraries.
        # TODO: use_system_hunspell (upstream changes needed).
        # TODO: use_system_libsrtp (bug #459932).
        # TODO: use_system_libusb (http://crbug.com/266149).
        # TODO: use_system_opus (https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=3077).
        # TODO: use_system_protobuf (bug #525560).
        # TODO: use_system_ssl (http://crbug.com/58087).
        # TODO: use_system_sqlite (http://crbug.com/22208).

Comment

It took thousands of bug reports to reach this stage on Gentoo...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            It took thousands of bug reports to reach this stage on Gentoo...
            And it's appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              And it's appreciated
              And the polish shows. It's by far the best web browser we have for Linux. From heavy HTML 5 apps to WebGL gaming, Firefox feels like a cheap knock-off compared to Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

And the polish shows. It's by far the best web browser we have for Linux. From heavy HTML 5 apps to WebGL gaming, Firefox feels like a cheap knock-off compared to Chromium.
                Not at all, with Chrome on Linux I just had trouble and bugs. Firefox runs rock stable, no issues and it does everything well. So Firefox is by far the best web browser on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

I'm not surprised. Being a non-dev, i don't know anything about code, but every time I try building Chromium from upstream it pulls down a truckload of its own libraries and dependencies, and ignores most of the system libraries and dependencies except for Python and GTK3.

I suppose there's good and bad to this; since Chromium controls most of the dependencies, it has a much higher chance of building successfully and most of the functionality is delivered as promised.

The downside? The first run of
                  Code:
                  gclient sync
                  will eat up close to 80GB of storage (if not more) just for the sources and their pre-built dependencies alone.
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 20 December 2016, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Still waiting for Wayland support.
                    Chromium 55 on Wayland still does not work with Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty" (dev).

Comment

Working...
                    X